UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2018, 1:09 pm   #1
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Sony TC-266 bias calibration

I'm having real trouble here working out how to calibrate this.

I have the scope connected to the line out .

I have the player in rec on the left side.
I'm adjusting L201 and nothing is happening .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bias.png
Views:	84
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	168479  

Last edited by NorfolkDaveUK; 1st Sep 2018 at 1:22 pm.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 2:14 pm   #2
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Re: Sony T-266 bias calibration

No left output ...lol . So somewhere between playing a tape , and taking it out of the case , something happened to the left output . Don`t you just love these oldies ..lol .
Old 1st Sep 2018, 2:20 pm   #3
ms660
Dekatron

T-266 = TC-266?

Lawrence.

Last edited by ms660; 1st Sep 2018 at 2:28 pm.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 2:57 pm   #4
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Yeah sorry typo and I couldn`t correct it . TC-266 .

It was working "ok" the levels were all over the place . Right side record was full of hiss and way way over what the right side was , playback was very low . I re-capped it and it was ok but no change in the symptoms but now the left side has now decided to quit on me I`ve checked all the caps and they are all correct and orientated correctly on all 3 boards . I`ll put a signal in and try and trace it though .
Old 1st Sep 2018, 3:17 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

That inductor does not set the bias level. The adjustment is for the bias trap to keep bias out of the signal circuits. It shouldn't normally need adjusting unless there have been component changes around it.

Last edited by Ted Kendall; 1st Sep 2018 at 3:35 pm.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 3:18 pm   #6
ms660
Dekatron

Do you have a schematic?

Back in the day a long long time ago I used to service a lot of Sony tape recorders, one problem even back then was the small signal transistors breaking down, typical symptoms (permanent or intermittent) included loss of signal, crackling noises and similar, the most common cause of that with the transistors was leakage between the EBC lead outs on the actual base (bottom) of the transistor, tapping around would sometimes give the impression of dry joints on the transistors connection to the PCB, the joints would be re-soldered and all was well....for a bit, then the symptoms would return, this was because the heat from the soldering iron cured the problem with the transistor....but only for so long, to check if they were a problem then giving them a wiggle on top with a finger or whatever would make the symptoms worse or less, upon inspection we used to find an iridescent film on the base of the transistor between the lead outs, scrapping that away could offer a cure but in most cases I replaced the transistor(s) because I worked for Sony and spares/components were not a problem, another indication of those transistors giving those same problems was a black or dark oxide coating on the transistors lead outs.

Not saying your problem is transistors but if you get the above symptoms it's worth a check before doing any mass changes.

Good luck whicheverways

Lawrence.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 3:33 pm   #7
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Cheers Lawrence , it was the first cap on the input . Not too sure why it would have failed but it went short . It was a brand new Panasonic so should have been all good . Maybe I shorted it when i put the boards back in or something . The transistors in this thing are hideous ..lol . I`m not going to mess with them for now unless I cant sort out the hiss , but the legs on these things are kinda like foil (little thicker but not much ) .

Sorry Ted just seen your post . Mr "fool" has been in here with his screw driver and turned every thing he could find to turn bud . Its a mess.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 3:48 pm   #8
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkDaveUK View Post
The transistors in this thing are hideous ..lol . I`m not going to mess with them for now unless I cant sort out the hiss , but the legs on these things are kinda like foil (little thicker but not much ) .
Those ones were the worst for the scenario I mentioned in my previous post, they were also fitted to other manufactures equipment including TV's etc, I used to enjoy doing the tape stuff when I worked for Sony....better than TV's The key to it was that they had all the spares, manuals and test kit/tapes etc that was needed to do a proper service and performance check, most popular were the TC630 and the TC366 machines.

Lawrence.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 3:58 pm   #9
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorfolkDaveUK View Post
Mr "fool" has been in here with his screw driver and turned every thing he could find to turn bud . Its a mess .
Ah - the Phantom strikes again! Happens...
Old 1st Sep 2018, 4:38 pm   #10
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Default Re: Sony TC-266 bias calibration

Lawrence , I think you could be right about the transistors in this thing . the output on this is just awful at the min , quiet and hissy and crackly . Think I`ll juggle some either 107`s or 550`s into there ,the pinout is different but they should be ok when orientated right. The ones in there are some of the weirdest I`ve seen so far .
Old 1st Sep 2018, 4:45 pm   #11
ms660
Dekatron

What are the number types that were fitted as found?

Lawrence.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 4:50 pm   #12
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

2sc632/4. they are just low power general purpose NPN`s . The 107/550 will be fine as long as they go in the right way round . (one stop anti clockwise turn)
Old 1st Sep 2018, 4:56 pm   #13
ms660
Dekatron

Yes, 2SC632 was the original fit, flat lead out wires, a very common transistor in that kind of stuff back in the day. These machines should be easy to set up once any faulty bits have been seen to.

Lawrence
Old 1st Sep 2018, 5:23 pm   #14
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

transistors changed on the left amp . Signal on the left is now clean crisp and totally clear . Right is still ill . Transistors it was . They even look horrid dont they ..haha
Old 1st Sep 2018, 6:58 pm   #15
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

Right side done, both channels now sound great on playback. Going to calibrate the record in a second, see how it sounds.
Old 1st Sep 2018, 10:18 pm   #16
NorfolkDaveUK
Banned

All done just need to clean a dirty record switch, clean and tighten the RCA's and we are golden. Thanks for your help as always .
Closed Thread