UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 26th Nov 2012, 12:21 pm   #1
pookienoodle
Retired Dormant Member

Default No dial tone on a N1900E269

Hi all,

I have just converted the above which I have been told is similar to a GPO 706. I can use the phone to dial in, it rings and the line is clear when I answer.

My problem is I have no dial tone, when I depress the switch hook buttons I get a loud click and when I dial I get a momentary dial tone as the dial returns.

Would love any advice on this matter though I must point out I am a complete layman (well woman actually) and was just looking to convert a classic phone as a Christmas gift.

Thanks in advance
Old 26th Nov 2012, 1:21 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: No dial tone on a N1900E269

Something is not right, then. But it can't be too far off, if you can answer an incoming call. Maybe you have the dial-off-normal contacts miswired? (Or they may be faulty.)

Download the 706 circuit diagram. This is correct for pretty much any phone with an induction coil and a 5-terminal dial. If your phone has no regulator components fitted, modify the diagram as follows: Delete all regulator components, join "B", "C" and "D" (which go to the regulator PCB) together, and leave "A" and "E" unconnected.

Now, wire up your phone to look like the 706 in the diagram. Line wires go to pins 2 and 5 of the modular socket. There's no point using pin 3 anymore, as it only gets regenerated by a local capacitor inside every ADSL splitter; using the cap already provided in your phone won't make much difference either way.
Old 26th Nov 2012, 10:50 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I've just had the self-same problem on a 332 I've fettled up. It was the dial pulse contacts that were dirty, and hence intermittent. I cleaned them with one of those little pink contact-cleaning strips from RS, although rough blotting-paper is just as good. Just slip between the contacts in the 'closed' position and rub back and forth.

The dial pulse contacts are in series with the mic and so make the loop when the handset is lifted.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 28th Nov 2012, 11:37 pm   #4
pookienoodle
Retired Dormant Member

Well I went back in again and followed your advice, not sure what the hell I did wrong as now I still get the click and dial tone on the return of dial but now it doesn't ring at all .

I think I am out of my depth here.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 29th Nov 2012, 11:45 am   #5
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Before you progress (or tear your hair out), could you check your telephone is wired thus? It doesn't matter whether the resistor is wired between T16 - T17 or T4 - T5 as long as there is a link in the terminals you haven't fitted the resistor to.

If you need a resistor, that is. It really isn't that critical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	howtowirea706-746toaplug.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	73391  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Closed Thread