UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Nov 2015, 5:35 pm   #1
ITAM805
Nonode

Default Soldering 'Bacofoil'

My first reaction was, "it cant be done"! Well it seems it's possible although when I tried it, my 25W iron melted the foil before I could tin it! Might be useful anyhow.

Here's how - apparently...
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 6:58 pm   #2
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Re: Soldering 'Bacofoil'

Very interesting must try it. Mick.
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 7:43 pm   #3

I just use plenty of solder, the flux works like the oil, but why 4 odd minutes of video for a sentence or two?

Old 23rd Nov 2015, 7:55 pm   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

Why indeed? Well, it's an AMERICAN video. They just seem to love making videos as long as possible in order to make a simple point. I dunno, go figure.. I watched a similar video about making a longer coffee when using a Nespresso machine. Basically you just needed to press the machine button twice instead of once, but the guy making the video makes a real meal of it..
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 8:23 pm   #5
Steve_Bell
Hexode

Once upon a time you could buy multicore "aluminium solder" - for soldering aluminium, rather than made of aluminium. I think it had a very high lead content and a quite corrosive flux that you had to wash off.
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 9:00 pm   #6
Radio Wrangler

Ersin "Alusol"

David
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 9:47 pm   #7
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I have soldered to (small pieces) of sheet aluminium using the 'under oil' method. I've not downloaded the video so I can't be sure it's the same, but what I did was to clean the aluminium surface, put a drop of machine oil on it, then scrape the aluminium under the oil with the (Weller TCP No 8) soldering iron bit and tin that part with normal rosin-core solder.

Some of the special aluminium solders contained quite high proportions of cadmium and were quite unpleasant to work with. I would not want to use them without some form of fume extraction.
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 10:41 pm   #8
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I used to solder onto the back of radiospares preset pots by just keeping on scraping the aluminium with the soldering iron bit and frequently applying solder, it was probably the flux that was preventing oxidisation and allowed eventual adhesion

Peter.
Old 23rd Nov 2015, 11:24 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

I was walking around the Aero 2009 exhibition in Friedrichshaven ad there were at least two stalls touting filler metal for repairing aluminium castings and were demonstrating using a fairly ordinary DIY gas canister blowlamp. There was a special flux and a filler rod. It wet the aluminium and flowed quite nicely, though I'm seriously doubtful about the strength compared to a proper weld.

I wondered about it for making radio chassis etc.

I'm just worried that these people were demonstrating the stuff at Europe's largest AVIATION exhibition.

Gulp!

David
Old 24th Nov 2015, 11:17 am   #10
richrussell
Heptode

There are quite a few products for brazing aluminium, usually consisting of some alloy filler rod and a flux. Mig welding sets have progressed now with electronics good enough to manage the arc so that you can actually Mig weld aluminium (with aluminium filler wire obviously). It's no longer the domain of Tig or micro-gas welding.
Old 24th Nov 2015, 11:39 am   #11
Radio Wrangler

I've used MIG on aluminium. It works quite well, though the constrained relationship between heat input and filler input isn't ideal. I used to weld aluminium with oxy-acetylene and a tallow candle for flux, so anything's easier than that!

Nowadays I have a very good quality TIG machine and welding aluminium is easy. The antennae at home are on a stub mast on the gable end - the mast and supporting brackets welded out of thick-wall aluminium scaffolding tube.

I just hope no-one at Aero 2009 used any of that low melting point stuff on anything critical.

David
Old 24th Nov 2015, 3:54 pm   #12
Andrew2
Nonode

I've successfully soldered to aluminium cooking foil many times using conventional solder plus some 'powerflow' plumbers' flux. I just apply a small dab of flux to the foil and then 'rub' the iron bit on the foil while applying solder (ordinary savbit). Works every time and the joint is a proper one ie not just a blob stuck on.
When I was an apprentice, I watched one of the old hands soldering some ally sheet with a big, hot iron, plenty of flux and using a wire brush to keep the surfaces clean. It worked a treat.
Old 24th Nov 2015, 6:15 pm   #13
Karen O
Rest in Peace

I soldered to some aluminium once not knowing it was aluminium, though I should have guessed from the trouble I was having. I swear it contaminated my bit because it was never quite the same again. I replaced my bit soon after because it made normal soldering a pain.
Old 24th Nov 2015, 6:51 pm   #14
Radio Wrangler

One technique is to use the soldering iron to create a pool of molten solder and to move a scraper around within the pool, scraping the oxide off of the aluminium and pushing the slag out of the pool. Doing this by rubbing with the bit itself can contaminate the bit.

David
Old 25th Nov 2015, 2:01 pm   #15
peter_scott
Dekatron

I've used HTS2000 to braze aluminium and the joint is so strong that you can hit it with a hammer and it will not part but rather the original alloy will fracture. That said the HTS also machines easily. I have no connection with this company but am impressed by their product.
Here's an alloy pulley with a missing chunk. The HTS can be easily puddled to form a replacement for the missing part and machined to shape.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pulley2-1 (Medium).jpg
Views:	219
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	116047  
Old 27th Nov 2015, 8:21 pm   #16
ITAM805
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen O View Post
I soldered to some aluminium once not knowing it was aluminium, though I should have guessed from the trouble I was having. I swear it contaminated my bit because it was never quite the same again. I replaced my bit soon after because it made normal soldering a pain.
I think you may be on to something Karen, my genuine 8 month old Antex bit seems knackered since I tried soldering tinfoil - or is coincidence? Is there something in aluminium that contaminates nickel/iron? Anyway I fitted a new tip today and all is good again.

Perhaps the thread should be changed to 'The Dangers of Soldering 'Bacofoil'
Closed Thread