UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 20th Aug 2015, 11:04 am   #1
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Hacker rear vent replacement

My Hacker VHF Herald is missing it's rear vent. The chances of finding a replacement are perhaps more difficult than finding hen's teeth or rocking horse droppings. So I decided to look at plastic louvres and grilles and found this one that is not much bigger than the original (at least it's bigger not smaller) and not a million miles away in the looks department. It's made by 'Map Hardware' - see photo of packet - and they're available in brown or white. Mine needing to be red I thought the brown one would overpaint easier. As supplied there's a bit of moulding 'flash' here and there that will need to be carefully trimmed, but all in all not a bad fix I thought. For the purpose of the photo I have just held it in place with double sided tape but I'll use the screws holes when I finally install it after painting. Oh, it was £2.99 and size is 6x3 inches.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010479.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	111954   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010478.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	111955   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010477.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	111956  
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 7:36 am   #2
Karen O
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Hacker rear vent replacement

That's a really useful tip: my Hacker Sovereign II is missing its vent!
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 7:47 am   #3
stevehertz
Dekatron

It's not a 'perfect' - as in original - fix, but it does the job much better than a couple of large holes in the cabinet surrounded by flapping Rexine! Also, the finished job will look much better when the vent is sprayed the correct colour. I'll post pics of mine when sprayed. Anyone seen a 'red' colour (spray) that's the same tone as the original, or thereabouts?
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 10:56 am   #4
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That looks pretty good! I'm in need of a speaker grille of similar design for an Ekco TV I have here, that is missing. One of these may be the answer.

As for painting it, I think your best bet would be a trip to Halfords, they have a good selection, and their spray paints always seem to work well for me.

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 11:02 am   #5
stevehertz
Dekatron

Lloyd, if you google ' plastic vent grille ', and also the same words on an auction site, you will get lots of results in many different sizes. Map brand (as mine) make different sizes too. Check out your search results under the 'images' option rather than 'web' or 'shopping'.
Old 23rd Aug 2015, 2:24 pm   #6
stevehertz
Dekatron

Actually I may fill the screw holes in the grille with Araldite or plastic padding before spraying it, and then use impact adhesive to fix it to the back of the set as that would be more original than screws.
Old 24th Aug 2015, 7:34 pm   #7
stevehertz
Dekatron

Today I went to Halfords and purchased a can of spray paint to use on the grille. After much deliberation and almost going colour blind having perused and compared seemingly dozens of shades of red, I decided on Rover Damask Red. I was looking for a bright yet 'heavy' shade of red that had a hint of plum in it, and this appeared to be the one. Back home I've sprayed some onto a piece of paper and you can see the results in the photo attached. It hints at the colours used on the control panel and knobs (which are very 'plumish'), and from photos that I've obtained of red coloured rear vents, it's not a bad match there either. Actually, the colour obtained is better than shown on the spray can lid which although it was the best one that I could find, seemed a bit too dark, and I had my doubts that it would work. BTW, ignore the lighter coloured spray towards the bottom of the paper, the top inch or so is the real colour. So, in due course the grille will be prep'd and sprayed. Watch this space..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010513.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	112176  
Old 7th Oct 2015, 5:12 pm   #8
stevehertz
Dekatron

Update.

I prepared the surface of the grille by first chiselling off the raised logos and then rubbing down any flash on the plastic moulding. I then smoothed it off with a very fine (pre-used) sponge sanding pad.

First photo: plastic primer applied.
Second photo: First colour coat applied - more to come..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010094.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	113970   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010095.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	113971  
Old 8th Oct 2015, 3:05 pm   #9
stevehertz
Dekatron

We're getting there. Perhaps one more coat then a polish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010112.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	114002  
Old 10th Apr 2016, 2:10 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

And finally, the finished job. As is normal, the colours as perceived by the camera (and flash!) are not quite right. In hue, the vent actually matches the other red plastic parts quite well, and it also 'matches' - if that's the word in this case - the rexine covering much better than is portrayed by the photo. See my earlier 'colour match' post and photo that shows the match to the unfaded red rexine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010477.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	122603  
Old 10th Apr 2016, 7:22 pm   #11
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

That looks pretty damn good! I can see that the colour matches the tuning dial very well, some camera's always do funny things with colour when the flash is on. Really must get one sorted for that Ekco telly when I get my new workshop...

Regards,
Lloyd.
Old 11th Apr 2016, 7:24 am   #12
Ti Pwun
Heptode

Thumbs up Re: Hacker rear vent replacement

Nice job!
Old 14th Apr 2016, 5:04 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Nice one! That's a rather satisfactory colour match; the slight difference in shade's nothing to be worried about - I'm sure that after years of use the original grille would have faded at a rate different to the background Rexine in any case!

The range of these little plastic vents is really quite amazing - apart from the ones sold as "Soffit vents" at the usual DIY stores, there's another smaller variety sold to the caravan/motorhome community for venting their gas-powered refrigerators and the like.
Closed Thread