UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Jul 2012, 10:54 pm   #1
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

Default How to run 32 bit program on a 64 machine?

I found some interesting looking programs on the web but they don't run on my Windows 7, friend says it runs on his 32 bit laptop and I have tried to simulate Windows XP but no luck. Any thoughts ? Thanks in advance. Cliff.
Old 10th Jul 2012, 1:09 am   #2
SteveSmit
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: how to run 32 bit program on a 64 machine

A 32 bit program should run no problem on a 64 bit machine. My guess is you've either got yourself a very old 16 bit based program (which would indeed work fine on a 32 bit installation but not a 64 bit) or you've got the more irritating version, which is a 32 bit program that uses a 16 bit installer. So if you could install it, it would work, but you can't because the installer won't run.

I don't think Windows XP mode will help you in this instance because it's still running on a 64 bit system, and still would struggle properly working with 16 bit programs (if that is indeed your issue)

The programs DOSBox, VMWare or VirtualBox may help however if it's a 16 bit program you're trying to run.
Old 10th Jul 2012, 8:48 am   #3
arjoll
Dekatron

Default Re: how to run 32 bit program on a 64 machine

If it's a 16 bit Windows app or a 32 bit one that won't run in Windows 7 then Windows xp mode will help - it's a full copy of Windows xp Professional running in a virtual machine.

For 16 bit MSDOS programs DOSbox is a great solution - I've used that at a few sites for older software, and at one site I've even got an ancient CAD package running nicely under it.
Old 10th Jul 2012, 5:54 pm   #4
DragonForce
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: How to run 32 bit program on a 64 machine?

I have several programs that run fine under Windows 7 x64, Paintshop Pro V5 for one.....

I find I have problems with drivers more so than apps - I can't use my cannon scanner on my Win7 system but can on my XP desktop.
Old 10th Jul 2012, 6:02 pm   #5
GMB
Dekatron

Since 32 bit programs work just fine on Windows 64-bit systems I think you must have 16-bit code.

You can run that using the "Windows XP mode" virtual machine (I do this all the time) but it is a pain to use it.

It used to be that you had to have Windows 7 professional to run though (but has this changed?). I certainly had to upgrade to that but it was only shortly after Windows 7 came out.

By the way, the error message you get will tell you why it won't run – but not immediately obviously as it's the title of the message box that actually mentions it being a 16-bit program.
Old 11th Jul 2012, 9:43 pm   #6
Gi4CZW Cliff
Pentode

OK I've got DOSbox but it seems to want a mount instruction, C C:\******\ do I put the downloaded program or it's address in here ?
Old 12th Jul 2012, 2:01 am   #7
Refugee
Dekatron

With Limux you just try to start the .EXE file and select or type DosBox in the open with screen and it remembers forever.
Closed Thread