UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Mar 2021, 2:16 pm   #1
coopzone
Hexode

Default Scrap pile DAC10 recovered and working.

I really hate seeing things get scrapped. This DCA10 was purchased via gumtree a couple of years back for the casing, I had a UPS incident on a badly packed DAC10 (the whole case was badly damaged) so having used the case of this one along with the original Escutcheon and chassis to make a complete working radio.

That left me with; a broken case, missing Escutcheon, and an unrestored chassis.

The chassis was relatively straight forward - all the normal stuff, now working.

The case took several hours of care glueing - it's now functional but not very pretty.

The Escutcheon - was a no hoper. Way to costly to buy one i have been looking for months. So i replaced it with one of my own!

Now have a working DAC10 in a custom case! And it works really well. Probably the best DAC90a/10 i have done. Almost no hum on the UL41.

The photo shows a nearly finished piece of work, just waiting for the brass screws and inkjet clear plastic to arrive to finish the glass front.

coopzone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1582.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	229653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1581.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	229654  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 2:20 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Scrap pile DAC10 recovered and working.

You may find the glued bakelite looks much better if you paint it. Dark brown just looks like bakelite, or you could use something more adventurous. You could tell people it's a rare and valuable special edition
Old 20th Mar 2021, 2:30 pm   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

Failure of the inverted type speaker is often seen, however many modern speakers
are slim enough to fit. It is easy to copy the speaker outline using a piece of mdf, and
then make a centre hole for the magnet of the new speaker. On cabinets with large
speaker louvres I usually place some speaker fabric in front of the speaker to offer
improved cone protection.
Old 20th Mar 2021, 2:30 pm   #4

Quote:
care glueing
I like the expression, back on topic, Paul is right a bit of rubbing down and a spray of slightly metallic brown will do the job. Remember that black Bakelite was also popular, harder to get a good black finish.

Old 20th Mar 2021, 7:19 pm   #5
mark pirate
Dekatron

I had a badly broken Bush DAC90A, the case was in a dozen pieces, after gluing it back together with super glue, there were some small bits missing.

I used fibreglass filler for these, then car filler for small cracks & low spots.
After a good sanding, I sprayed it white, it came out very well with no sign of any repairs showing through.

Mark
Old 21st Mar 2021, 10:53 am   #6
DonaldStott
Octode

My earliest restoration was a Philips B3G63A where the case was badly cracked with some small pieces missing.

Name:	Philips Cracks.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	229712

Like Mark above I used fibreglass filler for the holes and then car filler for the cracks & low spots. Seemingly endless sanding with finer and finer grades of wet&dry (used wet) brought the surface to a smooth finish. Followed up by a spray coat of grey primer and then Halfords Brazil Brown - almost a perfect match for Bakelite brown.

Name:	Philips Restored.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	229713

I appreciate that the DAC10 has a tortoise shell Bakelite finish but Brazil Brown would do for me.

P.S. I gave a DAC10 with a badly scratched and gouged case in my ToDo pile so I'll Post some pictures when I get around to it!