UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Jun 2020, 12:35 pm   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Question Splitting the vintage television section into television and video, Thoughts?

Good afternoon,
I regularly look through the vintage television as I have an interest in and restore 405 line receivers plus a few later 625 line sets.

I have noticed over the last year or 2 that the vintage television section is getting quite busy especially with non television equipment (I.e video recorders ECT.) and finding articles about television which are buried in the section.

I have been thinking, Is it worth splitting the vintage television section into 2 separate sections, one dealing with television receivers (405 line, 625 line, dual standard and colour receivers) and another dealing with non television equipment (video recorders, all types and vintages, camcorders, laserdisc players ECT) This I believe would tidy up this section and make it much easier to navigate around.

Christopher Capener
Old 17th Jun 2020, 3:25 pm   #2
19Seventy7
Octode

Default Re: Splitting the vintage television section into television and video, Thoughts?

I'd be happy with either way, but I agree. My main interest are Television receivers, sometimes when I get bored, I read past threads of television restoration and repairs, but there's lots of non receiver threads, which doesn't interest me as much. There seems to be more on non receivers than there is receivers.

My vote would be on splitting

'77
Old 17th Jun 2020, 4:37 pm   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Splitting the vintage television section into television and video, Thoughts?

A lot of threads start of on one subject but wander a bit. Television content in VCR threads and vice versa will be missed if you don't at least skim over the bits of lesser interest. Threads that intentionally feature both, interconnecting for example, will have to be carefully titled.
Old 17th Jun 2020, 8:48 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

We are discussion this in the mods area. One issue is the amount of work needed to find and move all the VCR threads to the right section (not always obvious from the titles), and to decide where those threads that straddle both sections fit best.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 21st Jun 2020, 9:05 pm   #5
Station X

After discussing this the moderators have decided to leave things as they are.

Moving existing VCR threads to a new section would not be a trivial task.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 2:46 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

If we were setting up the sections now, with the hindsight of 5,700 threads, we would probably have had separate sections.

But as Graham said, trying to go through those 5,700 threads now to sort the VCR ones to the new section would be a massive task. It is often not obvious from the titles so they would all need opening and checking separately. So splitting now isn't viable.

It should be noted that the Vintage Radio and Vintage Audio sections both manage fine with over 10,000 threads each.

Paul Stenning
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 3:25 pm   #7
1955APREN
Hexode

Good decisions Mods leave as they are
Derrick
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:29 am   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I can see where Christopher was coming from there and he does have a very precise/logical mind set but it would be a great deal of work to undertake so I agree with the decision. The original Pop Eye [1930's] cartoons contain the song "Leave well Enough Alone" which seems to apply here! The now really invaluable Forum Archive was thinned out at one stage, for expediency but a great deal of info and access seemed to be lost as a result-presumably for ever

Dave W
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 9:03 am   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Indeed, the last thing we want to do is lose any more information!

Paul Stenning
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 2:37 pm   #10
neil29
Heptode

I find trawling through the video threads a bit of a chore at times but I can't see the point of making more work than is necessary by separating it all out into different sections. and I also have to read things more than once on occasion to make absolutely sure I know what I'm reading as my mind does tend to wander about.

Cheers,
Neil.
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 4:31 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

I was beginning to wonder if Christopher had just dropped himself right in it by volunteering to sort the entire section

David
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 4:52 pm   #12
AC/HL
Dekatron

There are search tools built in. The advanced tool can appear confusing, but with familiarity it's possible to find most things: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...faq_vb3_search
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 6:28 pm   #13
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
I was beginning to wonder if Christopher had just dropped himself right in it by volunteering to sort the entire section

David
I think the only way it could possibly happen would be if we had two or three people volunteer who could commit to getting it completed reasonably quickly (a week or so). They would need to be well-established members. I could set them with the relevant permissions temporarily.

There is no way the mod team would be able to take it on.

Paul Stenning
Old 25th Jun 2020, 8:53 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Unsurprisingly I have been deafened by the silence following my previous comment, which I think proves the point.

The section will stay as it is.

Paul Stenning
Closed Thread