UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Aug 2005, 11:08 pm   #1
Sideband
Dekatron

Default Premier Radio Circuit

I've just bought a Premier radio from Steve Johnson's clear-out (Thanks Steve). Great little set which I think started life as a kit. Standard valve line-up of 6k8, 6k7, an odd one presumably a 6q7 equivalent and a 6v6. It has a selenium rectifier and a heater transformer so the chassis is live.

It's in superb condition, needs a good clean and the usual capacitors replaced. It has a white cabinet (well it will be once it's had a good clean) that's based on the 'Little Maestro' style. There are no markings on the back cover further suggesting that it was a kit.

Does anyone have a circuit for this? Did such a thing exist? Is it based on any other circuit? It looks very conventional.

Thanks for any help.

Rich.
Old 2nd Aug 2005, 11:28 pm   #2
Paul_RK
Dekatron

Default Re: Premier Radio.

Hi Rich.

Your set's cabinet very probably is the Little Maestro one: it was used for kit sets from quite a few different suppliers, with Premier probably the best known of them. I have one here in a mottled cream finish, from "Benson Radio Ltd." if my memory serves. Some - including I suspect the Premier - were available ready-built for a little extra, but as they didn't pass through the normal trade channels I doubt circuits would have been available beyond whatever was issued with the sets themselves. Someone somewhere may have a copy... but, as you suggest, the circuit's unlikely to include anything especially challenging.

Paul
Old 3rd Aug 2005, 10:03 am   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

I'll post some pictures when I get home. I've taken the chassis out and there was an interesting combination of screws holding it together including a long self-tapper used to hold one of the knobs on....nice and live!! If it was a kit, it's very well built so possibly it may have been one of the ready-assembled versions. There is some fur growing out of one of the electrolytics......Hmmm. Capacitor change time I think!!

Rich.
Old 5th Sep 2005, 1:04 pm   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Just found this circuit and it bares an uncanny resemblance to the Premier radio. It seems virtually identical and I wouldn't mind betting that the Premier was based on this. Mine has three wavebands so there may have been a later mod to add SW. Unfortunately part of the power supply is missing from the scan but it does show a heater transformer just like the one in mine.

Look on this site http://vintageradio.me.uk/radconnav/valvesuperhet/

Choose the 'Repanco' Hi Gain SH4 (third down).

The set has come up very well after replacing one of the electrolytics and a couple of waxy capacitors. It uses 'Sprague' metal-clad capacitors and these all seem to check out fine so I've left them in situ for the moment.
Rich.
Old 5th Sep 2005, 5:42 pm   #5
ronbryan
Octode

Hi Richard

I've checked with my original Repanco SH4 circuit and the diagram shows a metal rectifier taken from the primary of the heater transformer, exactly as you describe.

Ron
Old 5th Sep 2005, 9:36 pm   #6
Sideband
Dekatron

Hi Ron.

The original rectifier was two finned seleniums in series. The HT supply consists of a 16+16uF and a single 4uF. The smoothing resistor is 500 ohms. I'm assuming that this is all original.....the only bit that doesn't is the separate 4uF. Unfortunately I had to replace the selenium as it was only giving about 90 volts HT. Is the HT voltage marked on your circuit? If so what is it?

I've looked at the diagram more closely and it is as near as dosen't matter with the Premier set. It's so close I'm sure the Premier is based on it. The main difference is the addition of shortwaves.

Rich
Old 5th Sep 2005, 9:53 pm   #7
ronbryan
Octode

Hi Richard

Unfortunately the HT supply voltage is not marked on the circuit. The diagram shows a double pole switched 230V AC mains input going to a metal rectifier feeding a pi filter consisting of a 32uF reservoir capacitor, then a 10H 60mA LF choke, then another 32uF filter capacitor.

Ron
Old 7th Sep 2005, 11:43 am   #8
bizmark98
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Ron/Everyone

For some reason I never completed the page on Vintage Radio about the SH4 using the data Ron sent me in 2003.

I will correct that over the next few days and add a complete (and better) copy of the circuit to my site.

I would really also like some pictures of the set to add to the kit section on the site.

Maurice
Old 7th Sep 2005, 12:04 pm   #9
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronbryan
The diagram shows a double pole switched 230V AC mains input going to a metal rectifier feeding a pi filter consisting of a 32uF reservoir capacitor, then a 10H 60mA LF choke, then another 32uF filter capacitor.

Hmm! That's a bit posher than the circuit I have. No doubt there were several variations. Mine has a single pole switch switching the neutral side....not good! Then after the rec, it has a 32uF followed by a 500 ohm resistor, then a 4uF, then another 500 ohm and then another 32uF. Works OK but not sure if this was the original design.

Rich.
Old 7th Sep 2005, 7:54 pm   #10
bizmark98
Retired Dormant Member

Have split the circuit into two parts to make it fit.

Its all there now.

http://vintageradio.me.uk/info/repancosh4.htm

You may have to Control-Refresh to get your browser to see the new version

Maurice
Old 8th Sep 2005, 3:21 pm   #11
Sideband
Dekatron

Well I am convinced the Premier is the same circuit. Maybe someone decided not to use a choke and modified the power supply with two-stage smoothing to reduce hum....or maybe the choke failed and it was modified. Well no matter. It's a good set and with the circuit shown, I can probably tweak the alignment a little to cure a dead-spot on MW.

Rich.