UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2007, 11:53 am   #1
M0TAW Tony
Pentode

Default EKCO A144 and A104

Hi
Can one of the Ekco experts tell me the difference between the A104 and A144 models please. I downloaded the A104 Trader from Paul's service data site and it looks the same (cabinet and cct) as my newly aquired A144 but there has to be a difference
Tony
Old 1st Sep 2007, 12:02 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: EKCO A144 and A104

I don't think there is any difference. The A144 is the later model and most survivors seem to be 144s. The 104 may have had a gold bezel around the tuning scale rather than the silver one on the 144.

I have recently restored a 144 so am reasonably clued up about them at the moment. I also have a scrap set so may be able to supply any replacement bits you need. Send me a PM if you need anything.

I'm a big fan of these sets - they sound wonderful for a reasonably priced mass market set, and the internal aerial performs very well.

Paul
Old 1st Sep 2007, 12:11 pm   #3
Aerodyne
Octode

Yes, I like them too. Easy to work on. There is a possible problem with the plastic grille in that it can, under some circumstances, shrink and distort slightly, so that needs to be noted as replacing the grille with fabric poses a problem because of the thickness of the grille.
-Tony
Old 1st Sep 2007, 12:14 pm   #4
screengrid
Retired Dormant Member

I too am a big fan of these radios.
I always thought it was the other way round.

All of the A144s I've seen have had a gold surround, all of the A104s have had a silver surround.

The A144 is defiantely the later model.
There was also a U109 which was the AC/DC version of the A104.
The A104 and the A144 have the same chassis; in my experience.

I prefer the A104, because I can't stand tacky fake gold bits on radios -yuk!

Maybe Eric did a mix-n-match?

Ofcourse, I'm not saying I'm right and Paul's wrong; just my experience!

With Ekco, everyone thinks of the famous classics, but they made some excellent radios after the war, the A274 being another.

Last edited by screengrid; 1st Sep 2007 at 12:20 pm.
Old 1st Sep 2007, 12:40 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by screengrid View Post
All of the A144s I've seen have had a gold surround, all of the A104s have had a silver surround.
Both my A144s have the silver bezel

Paul
Old 1st Sep 2007, 1:33 pm   #6
M0TAW Tony
Pentode

Thanks to all for advice & comments.
This A144 has a gold (well more of a bronze colour) bezel round the glass scale and looks to be in vg condition.
It works on all bands but with some audio distortion. I've been hoovering out the dust this morning and just removed the chassis from the cabinet. I notice that the frame aerial insulation (dcc?) has broken down in several areas and the meter shows a resistance of some 3-4 Ohms whereas the Trader says 18 ohms so it may be shorting out some of the windings.
The 32 +32uF can is marked Nov 52. Can't see whats on the 2 and 25uF yet.
Any advice on caps - was proposing to change all those above 0.001uF. And check the values of the resistors. Plus change the mains lead.
Tony
Old 1st Sep 2007, 1:46 pm   #7
paulsherwin

I changed all waxies and electrolytics, but you may be lucky with the electrolytics. The waxies on the tagstrip near the O/P valve are quite fiddly to do. All the resistors were OK.

I needed a new UL41 too - only 2 NOS left in the spares box now Your distortion may be That Capacitor or a bad UL41.

It would be worthwhile trying to fix the frame aerial as this does work quite well given that it's untuned.

Good luck, Paul
Old 1st Sep 2007, 4:48 pm   #8
M0TAW Tony
Pentode

Thanks Paul - I'll let you know how I get on
Tony
Old 1st Sep 2007, 6:20 pm   #9
screengrid
Retired Dormant Member

My approach to repairing valve radios is I only want to fix them once.

So I change all wax caps, Hunts, etc. and all electrolytics. I don't even bother checking them any more.
I check all resistors and change any that have drifted or failed.
Closed Thread