UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Nov 2015, 10:09 pm   #21
KeithsTV
Nonode

Default Re: Bad transistors in a TCD310

There's one BC156 in the solenoid driver and 2 BC157s in the mic/line input amp. There's also a couple of MPS6518s on each of the Dolby boards. I would assume that the 156 is the lockfit equivalent of the 556.

I've also noticed that the Amplifier 2 board, which has the reel motor sense amplifier and control circuit is different to the circuit in my copy of the service manual. My manual has a date of 9-74 whereas the deck I've been repairing dates from late 76/early 76 and my own deck dates from late 76 (bought early 77) so this board has been changed during the production run.

Keith
Old 18th Nov 2015, 11:16 pm   #22
paulsherwin

Interesting, I've never come across it, or even seen any other reference to it. Presumably there really are some high voltages floating around that part of the circuit or a BC156 wouldn't have been used.
Old 18th Nov 2015, 11:38 pm   #23
KeithsTV
Nonode

The solenoid driver is powered by the +23V supply and the emitter of the BC156, which drives the BD175 solenoid driver, is connected to a capacitor which could potentially raise the emitter to close to twice that voltage. All the other BC transistors are powered by the 13.5V supply.

Keith
Old 19th Nov 2015, 12:19 am   #24
fetteler
Octode

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your offer, I have a copy of the manual which I found online, I guess it is the correct one for me but as I haven't had the machine to bits yet I will have to wait to find out! If I get stuck would it be OK to give you a surprise PM at some unspecified future date?? Also, I agree with your changing the electrolytics and I had already planned to do just that with all of them everywhere just in case.

Steve.

PS 2SC1815 - maximum 10dB noise figure: 2N5089 - maximum 2 dB noise figure. Obviously noise is not critical in solenoid or motor circuitry.

Last edited by fetteler; 19th Nov 2015 at 12:36 am. Reason: PS
Old 19th Nov 2015, 1:16 am   #25
KeithsTV
Nonode

No problem with a PM after all that's what this forum is all about. I've had my TCD310 for nearly 39 years but was recently given another to fix along with a TCD300 which is very similar. Having fixed the 310 I think it may be worth going over my 310 as I found one of the faulty transistors on one of the Dolby boards reduced the output level. I suspect I'll shortly be putting in an order for a large bag of transistors!!

One other fault I had on mine was the head carriage grease solidifying preventing the heads moving into position on play or record. It's a fairly simple matter to remove the carriage, clean off the old grease, regrease it and put it all back together.

Keith
Old 19th Nov 2015, 1:49 am   #26
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetteler View Post
PS 2SC1815 - maximum 10dB noise figure: 2N5089 - maximum 2 dB noise figure. Obviously noise is not critical in solenoid or motor circuitry.
You're right Steve, though the typical noise figure is much lower. It's all academic, as the 2N5089 is much cheaper and more easily available, so there's no reason not to use it.
Old 19th Nov 2015, 3:01 pm   #27
Radio Wrangler

Watch out for noise figure specs, by the way, they depend an awful lot on bias conditions and the presented source impedance. You really do have to be very close to the test circuit conditions to get the advertised figures.

It would have to be awesomely noisy to make a solenoid chatter!

David