UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 8th Dec 2010, 10:24 pm   #1
Bakelite Sam
Retired Dormant Member

Default Rotatones

I've seen several other discussions on here about Rotatones-I have two bakelites, a 328 and a 332 which although using a BT line I would like to prepare for when the day comes that pulse dialing is switched off, which has to happen one day. Father Christmas has requested a list, so a couple of Rotatones seem a sensible request-before my list goes off to Lapland... Has anyone else fitted one of these units? If so, firstly do they fit in to a 300 series easily or is it a tight fit? Secondly, and more importantly, as I wish to use my phones as my only land lines, are they reliable and up to daily use? Any tips on installing one would be gratefully received. Sam
Old 8th Dec 2010, 10:48 pm   #2
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Default Re: Rotatones

Having had a look inside a 332L, there would appear to be sufficient physical space for a Rotatone between the rear of the case and the cradle mechanism - above the chassis when the 'phone is right way up. I would say, however, that I have not actually tried it - not wishing to dismantle the 746 in which my Rotatone is installed. Wiring it may require some imaginative thinking, as the 300 series does not have as many spare terminals as the 700 series for which the Rotatone is primarily designed.

As to reliability, I see no reason why a Rotatone should not be reliable in daily use. After all, it is entirely solid-state with no moving parts. The further advantage of having a Rotatone-converted 'phone as your main/only instrument is that it gives access to "*" and "#" (albeit less conveniently than through a telephone keypad).

The usual disclaimer: I have no connection with Rotatone other than as a satisfied user.
Old 10th Dec 2010, 12:33 am   #3
Bakelite Sam
Retired Dormant Member

I have found a wiring diagram for a 332 online-making it look quite easy (!!!) # & * is one of the main reasons for attempting the conversions and so many automated services needing the use of a tone phone.

Many thanks for the thoughts, I'll probably get round to it at Christmas, so I'll let you know how it goes and all the mistakes I make attempting it!!!.

Thanks for your thoughts, Sam
Old 10th Dec 2010, 8:49 pm   #4
Dave Moll
Dekatron

The Rotatone should come with full instructions for wiring it into a 700 series 'phone, so it would simply be a matter of identifying the equivalent parts in the 332. Although the layout is different, the similarities in the underlying circuitry should be fairly recognisable.
Old 12th Dec 2010, 3:38 pm   #5
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Instructions for the 332 conversion here:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/files/o...e%20GPO332.pdf
Old 14th Dec 2010, 12:03 pm   #6
PaulR
Dekatron

I have fitted one into a 200 series. There aren't enough terminals so you need to do a bit of soldering to connect all the wires. It is also a bit of a tight fit, but it does work. I actually reverted it to pulse dialling and fitted the Rotatone to the 300 series one which have at work so I could use the # amd * functions. There is plenty of room in a 300 case.

Paul
Old 14th Dec 2010, 11:57 pm   #7
Bakelite Sam
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks everyone for you help-Postman Pat delivered two of them through my door this morning so if I get a chance over Christmas I will attempt to fit them to my 328 & 332-let you know how it goes! Thanks again everyone and Merry Christmas
Closed Thread