UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Apr 2019, 12:01 am   #1
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Circlip Removal

Hi All

I need to remove a circlip from the shaft of a potentiometer so I can swap the tracks. I don't have circlip pliers and I haven't taken one out for years. If I remember I just graunched at the end of the circlip until one end popped out and then eased the rest out.

Anyone got any better tips?

Cheers
James
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 4:45 am   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Circlip Removal

Steady the shaft in the vise and use two sharp nose diagonal cutters (not as cutters but as pliers) In the gap between the circlip ends, position one of the tips of each cutter (one in left hand one in right hand) and place the other cutter tip of each cutter about 30% around the circumference each (in opposite directions) against the circlip on each side of the shaft. Using balanced forces spread the circlip apart wide enough to slip it off the shaft. (If you don't use a balanced system like this the clip will rotate and you will get nowhere, if you balance it, you will get from nowhere to "now - here" as Mike Myers said on the Love Guru).
You should be able to re-use the clip as this does little damage.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 6:45 am   #3
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

I usually use a broad flat bladed screwdriver to first shove the clip "up" the shaft, to open it open it a tad, then a smaller screwdriver on one end of the clip whilst holding the clip with needle nose pliers, to lever one end open, so as to get a small gap between clip and shaft, then use a small flat bladed screwdriver in the gap to lever it off.

Andy.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 8:52 am   #4
Paul JD
Pentode

I usually stab myself in the hand several times with assorted sharp objects and then swear a lot before finally getting the clip to shoot across the workshop never to be seen again! I then vow to buy some proper circlip pliers (which I still haven't done yet!)
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 9:12 am   #5
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul JD View Post
I usually stab myself in the hand several times with assorted sharp objects and then swear a lot before finally getting the clip to shoot across the workshop never to be seen again! I then vow to buy some proper circlip pliers (which I still haven't done yet!)
Standard circlip pliers are not much chop on the type of metal bands used on pot shafts because these bands just typically have blunt & rounded edges opposed to each other with a small gap, rather than a rectangular edge, or round holes provided on typical spring steel circlips that interact well with circlip pliers.

Also you avoid stabbing yourself with the method I advised.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 9:24 am   #6
vinrads
Dekatron

When I am cleaning a pin bank unit from a Jukebox there are several very small cir clips to remove ,I start with a light colour cloth covering the bench ,using a sharp instrument like a big needle I can easily pry the clip off ,on re assembly I find gripping the clip with surgical grips the type that lock , if the clip flies off or you don't get it on the first time it is usually caught in the cloth ,It works for me . Mick.
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 9:53 am   #7
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi All

Thanks for the suggestions, Paul you made laugh out loud.

Here is another question - where can you buy these circlips? I've just thought of my standard solution these days and that is to Dremel the offending item to a pulp and replace it with a new part while laughing maniacally at the items pathetic attempt to defeat me!

Cheers
James
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 10:03 am   #8
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post
Hi All

I need to remove a circlip from the shaft of a potentiometer so I can swap the tracks.

Anyone got any better tips?

Cheers
James
Without seeing the pot, I could be wrong, but I've never seen one in which a true 'circlip' has been used to retain the shaft. 'Circlips' are made of spring steel and either internal or external. The have a small hole at each end into which the circlip pliers are inserted. In internal clips, the clip has to be compressed to reduce its diameter, and in external clips, the clip has to be expanded.

Circlips are normally used on things that may need to be dismantled for maintenance, but of course pots are permanently assembled. The shafts are usually retained by a 'circular clip' which isn't actually a circlip as such, and isn't made of spring steel. Removal involves bending it out of shape by whatever means are to hand. On the rare occasions I've had to do it I've held the shaft in the vice and used a small screwdriver with the tip against one end of the clip and given the screwdriver a sharp tap with a hammer to deform the circular shape of the clip to enabled it to be prised off. You might be able to prise the clip open by using the tips of two scribers, playing darts or other sharp pointed implements.

The pic below is a bit indistinct, but hopefully the clip I'm referring to is clear enough.

Of course, your pot might be quite a different design.

Good luck with it James.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pic2.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	180739  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 10:48 am   #9
Paul JD
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinnewcastl View Post
Here is another question - where can you buy these circlips?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retaining...r=552969399519
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 11:10 am   #10
David G4EBT
Dekatron

That was a good find Paul - they look just the job!
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 11:28 am   #11
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi David

That's the beast - I think pretty much all similar pots use the same technique. I still use the same names dad used for such items, 'retaining snap ring' is a bit of a mouthful.

Thanks for the link Paul - ebay is a great armchair shop, now where is that Dremel.....

Cheers
James
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 1:47 pm   #12
Reelman
Octode

A large clear plastic bag big enough to contain both hands, the tool and piece of work can be used to retain any “flying” parts that would otherwise disappear. As long as it is not too fine a job then even with the vision distortion caused by the bag parts can be removed. If you do slip for not being able to see well then the bag will at least retain the blood and avoid further stains on the bench or perhaps trousers.

Peter
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 2:21 pm   #13
Philips210
Nonode

Hi.

I use the method Hugo described in post #2. The cutters are like these https://cpc.farnell.com/duratool/d03...ngdom%2Fsearch

With practice, it is not difficult to spread the metal clip enough to enable releasing it from the spindle's groove.

Regards,
Symon
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 3:16 pm   #14
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Chaps

Thanks for the input

Symon - they look the part, I think that I have a pair too. I'll look tonight. If not, they are very cheap.

I actually made some circlip pliers when I was in the Apprentice Training Workshop about 40 years ago. They had interchangeable end parts so that any clip design could be accomodated and three handles so that they could be squeezed open as well as shut. I never could harden the tips properly though and they had the strength of plasticine! Wonder where they went?

Cheers
James
Closed Thread