UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Dec 2014, 12:59 pm   #1
PaulM
Hexode

Default Alcatel 4100

Hello, telephone people. I'm well out of my normal area here, but I wonder if there's anyone here who knows anything about the Alcatel 4100 VS PABX?

I've had one for a long, long time and never attempted to use it - until now. It came from a TV OB truck belonging to Border Television and was pulled as a going concern. Now, at least 10 years later, I'd like to use it. In the meantime I seem to have 'lost' the manuals.

On test with a couple of 'phones' connected to two of the 2 wire ports, I now have dial tone but no ability to dial other extensions. Initially the 50V rail was down due to a failed sub-unit on the mother board. I take it that these little cards are the ringing generators? I removed the one from the mother board which was as good as s/c on the 50V input and then everything sprang to life.

I've tried both MF and pulse 'phones' yet still I can't dial extensions. I've not tried any of the DEL lines.

Any clues, advice, please? Many thanks.

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 4th Dec 2014, 9:04 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: Alcatel 4100

Hi,
Try this link

Regards

Andrew
Old 4th Dec 2014, 9:33 pm   #3
PaulM
Hexode

Hello Andrew,

Thanks for the response, but I had already found that (and since found the hard copy manuals for the proprietary 'phones for this PABX). Sadly, the actual PABX User Manual hard copy is still missing and the linked site has Only available to Installer Network customers for the 'useful' ones.

I'm beginning to think (sadly) that this unit might be a bin job . . .

Best regards,

Paul M
Old 10th Dec 2014, 7:50 pm   #4
Biggles
Rest in Peace

When you say you can't dial other extensions, what do you hear? Does it break dial tone when you dial or does the dial tone remain? Do you hear it "ringing" in the earpiece? Does the PABX make relay like clicking noises as if its ringing? You normally need a proprietary feature phone to set the parameters up or sometimes you can program them from a PC, but I must admit I'm not familiar with this particular make of switch.
Alan.
Old 11th Dec 2014, 9:52 am   #5
PaulM
Hexode

When another extension is dialled, it briefly goes quiet (a second or so) and then resumes dial tone. There's no relays in the PABX and it makes no noises. A few red LEDs flash on the daughter boards but that's it.

As this was pulled 'hot' from an operational TV OB truck with a mixture of 'phone types in use, I expected (hoped) something of the original programming would be intact. It could be that the NV memory (I think it's just battery backed RAM) has been lost as the small NiCad battery on the motherboard was flat. As you say, without the proprietary 'master 'phone' or the right lead and S/W, it's probably not programmable. It's a pity because it's a nicely made unit with lots of features.

Many thanks for your response.

Best regards,

Paul M
Closed Thread