UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Feb 2014, 9:37 pm   #1
Outrun_uk
Heptode

Default Exercise mats.

Hi all,

I recently treated myself to a multi-drawer roller tool chest from Halfords in a vain attempt to tidy the workshop up which sort of worked.
As it was shiny and new I looked at the protective matting but at £15 a roll it was rather expensive in my opinion.

The local 99p store provided an excellent solution - "Multi-purpose exercise mat". Foam backed with a patterened plastic surface. £4.95 total cost with one left over (you get a full drawer and nearly another from one roll but can use the offcut and put the join near the back or edge).

These would also be good to protect cabinets on the bench.

Hope this is of use to someone

Kev
Old 3rd Feb 2014, 11:59 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Excercise mats.

Don't you then have to wear lycra when you use the tools?

David
Old 4th Feb 2014, 3:59 pm   #3

Default Re: Exercise mats.

Quote:
Don't you then have to wear lycra when you use the tools?
Only if it isn't static sensitive.

Back on topic, there are lots of things the gereral public can buy much more cheaply than 'specific' stuff, e.g. anything photographic is at least twice the cost of the same thing from a normal shop.

Old 4th Feb 2014, 5:26 pm   #4
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Exercise mats.

It may have been worth asking around to find where the local mechanics and builders go for their tools. You can sometimes get good quality main brand stuff a lot cheaper than B&Q/Halfords who tend to think they have a monopoly. Sometimes the difference will be the other way round though. The big name sheds like to play games with prices.

I've got a major tool distributor only 2 miles from me. They don't keep tat, their prices are good and they're main agents with on-site repair workshop for the main brands of professional power tools. There must be somewhere like this in most areas or else civilisation would have fallen.

David