UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 11th Nov 2014, 2:20 pm   #1
skrammd
Retired Dormant Member

Default BT Generator

Can these be used to test all phones?

If so how do they work, can you just plug the phone in or do you need to wire it in?.

I just ask as it saves on annoying my parents with ring the house phone from my mobile to check the operation of the phones (see my other posts)

Are their more sophisticated kits, that include multimeters for testing phones, or ones that you can use to bench test all functions of a phone?
Old 11th Nov 2014, 2:43 pm   #2
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Default Re: BT Generator

I have no experience of using a generator to test phones, although I imagine there should be no real difficulty with this. I personally use ex-GPO/BT lineman's phones, such as Tele 704 or 286 for testing, since you can normally hook up a phone either direct, or by use of a plug/socket adaptor, and apply a ringing charge. You can also use these for line-testing, and communicating with other test telephones if you link them together. These often pop up on ebay, and other similar sites, and are very handy indeed.

I was lucky enough to acquire a "Testel" bench testing unit some time ago, which replicates exchange tones, and enables testing of ringers, transmitters, dial speeds, etc., and allows two telephones to be connected to each other. This is a cracking piece of kit I now wouldn't wish to be without. I have never seen another since!
Old 11th Nov 2014, 4:49 pm   #3
skrammd
Retired Dormant Member

There is also this one on ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1115107712...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Seems like a newer version?
Or this one?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-BT-704...item3398162945
Old 11th Nov 2014, 5:03 pm   #4
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrammd View Post
The tester 275A is unlikely to be of any use, as it is intended more for telephone line testing I believe. The two 704s in the other link would be far more suitable, as long as they are both working OK. This model takes three D cell batteries - these can corrode quite quickly, so make sure you get an example with a clean battery holder/connections. If you want something a bit more modern, go for the telephone 286, of which there are three varieties available. They all do the same thing, however!

Last edited by oldmoley1; 11th Nov 2014 at 5:13 pm. Reason: removal of link to website
Old 11th Nov 2014, 5:14 pm   #5
skrammd
Retired Dormant Member

Ah sorry too.
I did think that when I put the links up. Oops

Thanks oldmoley. I had got a 286 on watch.
What's the variants on the 286?

There is a BT ringing generator 2a on eBay too.
Old 11th Nov 2014, 5:21 pm   #6
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrammd View Post
What's the variants on the 286?
Essentially, they are made by three manufacturers, all to different designs. It might be easier if I PM you to explain all this - I can also send some pics. etc.
Old 11th Nov 2014, 9:24 pm   #7
russell_w_b
Dekatron

You could make one of these to test the ringers. You'll need a centre-tapped secondary mains transformer, something like 9-0-9V. I used a couple of 2N5322 transistors, but depends what you have.

I just stuck mine in an old die-cast box with a telephone socket on, but you could tart it up with separate terminals and a battery supply out to test the receiver, side-tone, etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring Gen cct.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	100027   Click image for larger version

Name:	ringgen.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	100028  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 12th Nov 2014, 7:19 pm   #8
skrammd
Retired Dormant Member

That looks very neat and reminds me of the items dad used to have when he worked for the MOD.

I'm no electrician so would not have a clue, but I do have three boxes like you have in black plastic I could use, but they are about half the size of yours.
Old 12th Nov 2014, 8:03 pm   #9
Biggles
Rest in Peace

I built myself a telephone test unit for testing phones at work. It doesn't generate exchange dial tone but it provides the line voltage to power the phone and decodes DTMF tones for keypad tests. It also measures speech and tone line audio levels, lights an indicator when the phone is off hook and generates a tone to test the earpiece etc. It also has to cope with local battery working due to some special requirements at work. I still do a final ringback check after I have used my tester to check full functionality but it certainly is useful for testing intermittent hang up contacts and noisy line cords etc. The unit has a ring generator which is a 25Hz oscillator driving a push pull mains transformer in reverse to provide about 100 volts AC to line. The 50 volt DC for the line is generated by using one of the small isolated DC-DC converter modules available from RS and the like. So it can be done with a bit of trickery!
Alan.
Old 13th Nov 2014, 12:09 am   #10
julie_m
Dekatron

I bought a Digium TDM-410P clone for £50 from eBay, and installed Asterisk on an old PC. Now I have myself a proper, fully-functional PABX that I can customise as I like! (including playing a nasty message to anonymous callers, and touches of whimsy such as my Very Primitive Juke Box, and allowing me to call my parents by their old 4-digit number.) Each card accepts up to four modules. The green "FXS" (Foreign Exchange Station) modules (which connect to a phone) accept pulse dialling -- even to navigate through any voice menus you might create! -- and will produce enough ringing current to sound a 1kΩ bell. The red "FXO" (Foreign Exchange Office) modules are for connecting to an exchange line. You can choose any combination of modules when you order, and change the configuration later; but one FXO and three FXS (i.e., three phones / one exchange line) is a good a setup as any to start with.

You wouldn't want to use these cards for any business-critical purposes, for want of any warranty or support; but they are more than fine for experimenting with, or turning a collection of old telephones from static exhibits .
Old 13th Nov 2014, 9:41 pm   #11
bobsterkent
Hexode

I still have a line simulator from my days in the test labs, and it does all I ever need, including allowing you to dial between 2 phones, it also does stand in for amateur dramatics.