UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2019, 9:24 am   #1
ValvoStef
Hexode

Default Scart to VGA lead

Morning chaps,

This is driving me mad. I have an old Panasonic freeview recorder which I want to connect to a VGA monitor. The monitor is connected to various VGA devices via a 4 way switch box. I bought leads from eBay and Amazon, none work. I do understand that not all SCART devices have the RGB pins connected. According to the Panasonic manual, the recorder has RGB output on SCART 1. I opened up the SCART connectors on both leads, guess what,both are wired completely different. So, then I thought, I have at least the SCART plugs and VGA leads to make me own, so I googled for a suitable schematics, found some, guess what, they are different as well. Some are quite complex, using NPN transistors to boost the RGB signals. Before go any further, I ask has any forum member ever made a SCART to VGA adaptor and can share the schematics, please?

Thanks,

Stef.

You may ask why not use a proper telly:the answer is simply no more space. And I want to know how to make an adaptor.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 9:36 am   #2
Scimitar
Heptode

Default Re: Scart to VGA lead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValvoStef View Post
Morning chaps,

This is driving me mad. I have an old Panasonic freeview record which I want to connect to a VGA monitor.
The sync frequencies are not compatible, so you will need to make or buy a converter. A straight lead will not do what you want.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 9:45 am   #3
ValvoStef
Hexode

Oh dear, not so straight forward as I thought. Thanks, Scimitar, I’ll look for a converter, then.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 1:28 pm   #4
Maarten
Dekatron

SCART to "VGA" leads are usually intended to connect certain older decoders to TV sets with a SCART socket "suitable for decoders".

For converting an actual VGA signal to a TV signal or vice versa, a converter is needed which can usually be had for cheap on ebay or aliexpress.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 2:14 pm   #5
Refugee
Dekatron

Scart to USB is much easier.
You just need a low spec computer of some kind.
It can't be done without a powered adapter.
Old 6th Apr 2019, 4:51 pm   #6
ValvoStef
Hexode

Converter it is then, thanks guys. Just purchased one of Amazon for 16 quid.