UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 15th Aug 2018, 3:00 pm   #1
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Telephone spare parts sources

I was just wondering where people get their spare parts from, I have found a few websites that seem to sell a good selection between them. One thing I haven't seen much of are the screws for the 200 and 300 series phones, mainly the small one holding the dial in place, the rubber feet screws and the screws holding the base in place. Can you buy modern alternatives for all the screws and is there a list anywhere of what type screw are used for what purpose?
Old 16th Aug 2018, 5:47 pm   #2
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Default Re: Telephone spare parts sources

The dial retaining screw is an 8BA. Model engineering suppliers will most likely have these. A metric M2 one will also do at a pinch.

Most screws are BA but a lot have over-sized heads, eg a 4BA screw will have the size of head usually on a 3BA screw. I've found that a washer is normally adequate to bring the effective size of a standard head up.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 2:24 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Don't a lot of telephones use odd BA sizes?

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 17th Aug 2018, 4:23 pm   #4
ThePillenwerfer
Octode

Possibly. When I've needed them I've simply rooted through my stash 'til I found something that will do without worrying about the actual size or thread form.

There is some information in the articles here: http://www.samhallas.co.uk/collection/bits_index.htm For instance it says that the base on a 332 is held by 2BA screws and the feet by 4BA.
Old 19th Aug 2018, 9:39 pm   #5
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your help, I'll check all the info out.
Old 21st Aug 2018, 10:58 pm   #6
Tim
Dekatron

Quote:
Don't a lot of telephones use odd BA sizes?
Yes, literally!
Whereas most of us are familiar with the usual 0,2,4,6,8 BA etc. the GPO/BT use the "odd sizes". I have a set of P.O box spanners for 1,3,5 and 7 BA somewhere. Goodness knows why this was, maybe they got them cheap because no one else wanted them.
Old 22nd Aug 2018, 12:09 pm   #7
AC/HL
Dekatron

I don't think the subject of cost ever raised it's ugly head in those days. Probably more to discourage tampering.
Old 16th Sep 2018, 1:26 am   #8
midshires
Triode

The accepted explanation for using odd BA screws was to discourage pilfering in the factories.

But it's not only the telecomms industry that used the odd BA nuts and screws; it applied throughout the electrical industry, as you will discover if you dismantle old bulb holders, mains plugs and mains sockets.

Laurence Rudolf sells proper dial fixing screws in packets of, I think, five for £2. Or maybe it's ten for £2. He will have a stall at the THG's Milton Keynes telephone swapmeet on Saturday morning, 20 October. (www.thg.org.uk)
Closed Thread