UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 28th Aug 2018, 9:09 pm   #1
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Bent finger stop

So I had a phone sent to me in the post and someone has clearly dropped the box. It must have been dropped on the dial as the finger stop was bent inwards and has put a dent in the finger plate and chipped some of the white dial paint off. I have got the dent out of the finger plate and am just going to put a blob of white paint on the dial as it's hardly noticeable being underneath the finger stop. Anyway my question is how to straighten out the finger stop, it's bent where the bracket is to attach it to the dial case, I have tried using a pair of pliers but it's a tough bit of metal to bend back.

Last edited by AC/HL; 28th Aug 2018 at 11:38 pm. Reason: OT aside edited
Old 28th Aug 2018, 9:16 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Bent finger stop

You might be able to slip a sheet of toughish metal (e.g. the edge of an old door hinge supported in a vice) under the bent bit, then give the bent bit a gentle bash with a hammer, padded with a softer metal like an offcut of aluminium or even a bit of harwood.

Nick.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 3:59 pm   #3
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

The bloke I get my replacement line cords from also has a few spare parts lying around so I got a replacement finger stop off him.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 4:16 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Better still.

Does your supplier sell to the general public? If so, please do share his details here.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 8:35 pm   #5
m_rawdin
Retired Dormant Member

I have added his website details below, he sells his cords on ebay if you search for his shop, Vintage Telephony. It's always best to speak to him as he has spare parts that he doesn't put on his website. His handset cords are perfect, I have 2 of his cords, one on my 232 and one on my candlestick.

www.vintagetelephony.co.uk

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F223139058969
Old 16th Sep 2018, 12:59 am   #6
midshires
Triode

Vintage Telephony is Chris Elliott and his lovely wife, Vicky.

They always have a stall at the swapmeets of the THG (www.thg.org.uk) and the National Vintage Communications Fair (https://www.nvcf.org.uk). Next THG swapmeet is at Milton Keynes on Saturday 20 October and it's a sell-out event. If you are not yet a member sign up quickly!

Andy E.
Closed Thread