UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2017, 8:06 pm   #1
MurphyNut
Heptode

Default Bakelite Hairdryers

I rather like Bakelite hairdryers, I currently have about 10 diferent British models in my collection, some doubling up as the same shape but in a diferent colours.
I can't be the only one collecting these interesting and well made objects!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00005.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	148197   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03810.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	148198   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00017.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	148199   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1330.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	148200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2350.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	148201  

Old 23rd Aug 2017, 1:55 pm   #2
beery
Heptode

Default Re: Best Friend Bakelite Hairdryer rewiring

I like your hairdryers, especially the green one.

Those Morphy Richards ones in pictures 3 and 5 were made in huge numbers. I bet there are still loads around, and I bet they all still work unlike the modern ones that seem to have short life.

Cheers
Andy
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 3:36 pm   #3

Default Re: Bakelite Hairdryers

The days when things where made rather than stamped out.

Old 23rd Aug 2017, 5:34 pm   #4
OldTechFan96
Octode

I have seen a few of these old hairdryers at a local market. They do look interesting and well made. I might buy one if I'm looking for a little project.

Do these hairdryers have a cold function? I could see such a feature coming in handy.
Old 23rd Aug 2017, 8:08 pm   #5
Paul_RK
Dekatron

I'm a big fan of the HMV HD1, a pair of which are seen here - they just lift off the optional stands, and sometimes turn up in a nicely fitted out leathercloth-covered wooden carrying case. Quite heavy beasts, but very dependable, and, yes., they do blow hot or cold as required.

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HD1x2.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	148278  
Old 24th Aug 2017, 9:46 am   #6
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
I have seen a few of these old hairdryers at a local market. They do look interesting and well made. I might buy one if I'm looking for a little project.

Do these hairdryers have a cold function? I could see such a feature coming in handy.
All of the ones I have are able to blow air with the heating element off.
Bakelite hairdryers have survived in huge numbers and you shouldn't have to pay very much for one.
Some models are more common than others and regarding colour the attractive dark mottled green ones are by far the rarest to find.
A very interesting collection can be built without breaking the bank.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	261572_10200167395206841_1570300129_n.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	148303   Click image for larger version

Name:	10400080_1100819719943_1857_n.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	148304   Click image for larger version

Name:	10400080_1100819759944_2111_n.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	148305   Click image for larger version

Name:	11539616_10208050505119662_8241905423905974959_n.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	148306  

Last edited by MurphyNut; 24th Aug 2017 at 9:53 am.
Old 24th Aug 2017, 10:48 am   #7
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Bakelite Hairdryers

Hi,
I think almost everyone had a Morphy Richards hair dryer back in the sixties, be them cream, blue or pink. I know that most of my aunties had one! One or two had lamp holder adaptors fitted, I seem to recall. They ran nice and quiet with their shaded pole induction motors, and nothing like the 'screamers' of today.
Did they make them in other colours besides those three?
Cheers, Pete.
Old 24th Aug 2017, 11:32 am   #8
Rubberfingers
Pentode

I think they were supplied with lampholder adaptors fitted, at least for a while.
Old 24th Aug 2017, 1:44 pm   #9
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorfan View Post
Did they make them in other colours besides those three?
I think you're right, I'm always on the look out but only ever seen that model in those colours.
The earlier hairdryers do seem to come in more interesting colour variations, especially the mottled ones. I'll post up some pics of my favourites.
Old 24th Aug 2017, 6:18 pm   #10
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I have one of those white Morphy Richards purely from nostalgia because I repaired so many and I was a regular visitor to the factory, they were made not far from us.

In fact I think they were the only hair dryers I repaired because when later I came across one with a brush motor I thought it was cheap and nasty, the induction motors on the MR dryers were so quiet, a bit heavy though. My specimen not only works but it still has the original capacitor in it!

Peter
Old 24th Aug 2017, 7:09 pm   #11
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

We had one of those MR types in the 1960s. It ran *very* hot - the outbound air being so hot that I'm sure it would not be allowed these days on H&S grounds. More like a hot-air-gun than a hairdryer!

On ours, the black bakelite grille in the outlet nozzle crumbled due to the heat, and the white bakelite round the heater-element discoloured to a nasty yellow in places.
Old 24th Aug 2017, 9:19 pm   #12
kirstyd
Heptode

has anyone else noticed how old domestic apps when running seem to have a quiet soothing comforting kind of sound .If they could talk they would be saying .Yes i am doing the washing /vacuuming /drying your hair but dont worry everything is under control unlike their modern counterparts .they would be saying IM SCREAMING MY TITS OFF AND IM STILL NOT HAPPY WONDER IF I CAN MAKE A LITTLE MORE NOISE AND FOR GOOD MEASURE USE UP SOME MORE EXPENSIVE ELECTRICITY. sorry just me having a rant
Old 24th Aug 2017, 11:53 pm   #13
emeritus
Dekatron

I still have my mum's old pink MR hairdryer like the one in the middle photo in the original post that got made redundant after she bought a later model with hose, head cap, and continuously adjustable heat, from memory, effected by a mechanical baffle that mixed the proportions of heated and unheated air. The original one did start glowing brightly at one time sufficient to start charring the plastic of the nozzle, but that was fixed by cleaning out the build-up of charred fluff from the element that had been restricting the air flow. I use it to gently warm broken items that I have mended with Araldite to shorten the cure time.
Old 25th Aug 2017, 7:18 am   #14
hannahs radios
Hexode

My mum had one of those and when I was little I used it to practice hairstylist at the time it's what I wanted to do. She had it for years I remember also that it was very well suppresed it didn't disturb reception on 247 metres at all. Yes it was almost silent compared to modern machines I have a bright pink modern one the colors loud and so is the motor!!! What was the wattage of those I would think only a few hundred watts if you could run it off the lighting mains modern units are available up too about 2 kilowatts. Scary amount of heat
Old 25th Aug 2017, 10:07 am   #15
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Overheating wasn't normally a problem with the MR hairdryers but if the start-run capacitor was failing or there was lack of motor lubrication it could cause the motor to run slow, that may have been the problem.

Peter
Old 25th Aug 2017, 7:22 pm   #16
MurphyNut
Heptode

Here are a few more hair dryers from my collection for some reason the last one reminds me of a Dan Dare ray gun!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF3479.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	148398   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3480.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	148399   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3482.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	148400   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3484.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	148401   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3483.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	148402  

Old 25th Aug 2017, 10:57 pm   #17
Refugee
Dekatron

What does the spring do on the one it the last photo?
It looks like it goes around the back of the motor housing where the intake slots would be.
Old 26th Aug 2017, 10:09 am   #18
broadgage
Nonode

Does anyone remember the conversion kits sold to use an electric fan heater as a hairdryer ?
The heater was placed on a table in front of the victim, and the hot air directed by a short length of flexible ducting. The de-luxe version had a plastic drying hood to be placed over the head and connected via ducting to the heater.
The instructions generally stated that only the lower heat setting was to be used, this was often ignored and the extra heat perished the plastic.
Old 26th Aug 2017, 7:34 pm   #19
MurphyNut
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
It looks like it goes around the back of the motor housing where the intake slots would be.
I'd like to know as well, this hairdryer is the only foreign one I have, made in Germany.
Old 26th Aug 2017, 8:02 pm   #20
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee View Post
I remember that similar hairdryers could be fitted to an accessory "helmet-on-a-stand" thing [for the ladies who wanted to dry their 'Beehive' hairdo] and the spring hooked under a retainer to keep the hairdryer attached.
Closed Thread