UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2016, 9:51 am   #21
Hunts smoothing bomb
Octode

Default Re: 1960s electronics kit

I also have that very kit Jerry, a good kit, probably one of the better ones of it's time as it had many components plus 4 transistors.

Cheers
Old 26th Feb 2016, 10:15 am   #22
SeanStevens
Octode

I recently found a different make, like Philips, but not...

denshi block st100

These use components in cubes (slightly LEGO like) and a tray the cubes can be put into. Some blocks are double size (transformer) - they have chromed tab connections one all sides, but are wired only for the component within.

Within a few minutes I managed (at the tender age of 52) to make a radio, a light sensitive alarm, a buzzer etc.

The main advantage with the ST100 is that there is a built in amplifier (sort of cheating) but it is just another giant cube. So by using the amp and the radio you have built it is easily audible via the built in speaker (built into the battery box).

A great set - I'd have been mesmerised by it when a child

SEAN
Old 26th Feb 2016, 11:35 am   #23
russell_w_b
Dekatron

I had the Philips Radionic kit, X40. All the components were mounted on coloured plastic bases and screwed to a PCB. One of the best presents I ever got. Prior to this, I'd only ever taken radios to bits. Afterwards I started to put them back together again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x4001.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	120663  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 11:45 am   #24
jez_145
Pentode

Radionics kit - blimey I had one of those too - forgot about that Russell !

It had a large PCB about 10" x 6" and you bolted the components (mounted on pads) to it with nuts and a spanner !

I think ma chucked that out too !

Jerry

Last edited by jez_145; 26th Feb 2016 at 11:47 am. Reason: Thought they weren't Philips but then looked at Russell's photo !
Old 26th Feb 2016, 12:37 pm   #25
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: 1960s electronics kit

Hi,
While we're on the radio kit topic. There was a kit we used in Birkenhead Tech which used a perspex board with holes in and brass strip, also perforated, that we cut to length and to which the components were fastened with nuts through the board. Was this also called 'Radionic', or am I thinking of something else? It looked similar to the illustration in post #23, but I can't be sure.

PS Just read post #24 and, yes, it's the same one! Oops!
Cheers, Pete.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 12:43 pm   #26
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Auntie Google says that the X40 PCB kit may not actually have been made by Philips, who manufactured the range of electronic kits described by the OP and marketed in Europe, but may have been made by an outfit called the UK Radionic Company who applied the Philips brand under licence.

But that didn't matter to me as a kid. It was Philips: makers of 'proper' radio sets and electronic gadgets!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 26th Feb 2016, 1:58 pm   #27
jez_145
Pentode

Re: Radionic Kits - possibly made under licence - That explains it Russell.

When I first replied to your post, I was sure my Radionic kit was not a Philips product and, and mentioned this. It was certainly not in the same design of box as yours. Then I had another look at your photo which clearly shows "Philips" - so edited my post.

I think you must have had a different variation again Pete as mine was a brown pcb. No perspex, though the little platforms that the components were mounted on had brass studs for bolting to the pcb.

I made a radio transmitter with it in a school science lesson, aged 10 (we were allowed to bring something in from home on one occasion) and got 10/10 for my write up. Happy days!

Jerry
Old 28th Feb 2016, 2:37 am   #28
Zelandeth
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by jez_145 View Post
Funnily enough, only a few weeks ago I was thinking about my kits and ended up buying a similar "200 in 1 experiments kit" off eBay - just for old times sake. See attached photo. This is uses a similar approach to the Philips kits but the other way round in that the components are already mounted in place and you just need to wire them together by jamming wires into the coil springs. I think this is a good way of doing it as it doesn't involve constantly bending the component leads and there are no loose clips and springs to mislay. Sometimes it's fun to go back to basics! It's also handy for testing small circuit ideas without having to use up your component stock with a breadboard.
That brings back some memories! I was given one of these as a Christmas present back around 1995 - and proceeded to lose many, many, many hours to it.

Was a really versatile kit which allowed you to make some surprisingly complex projects for what it was. Remember it being pretty well documented too...it's where I learned to read schematics from, that I do remember!

The only gripe I remember was that the volume pot was quite scratchy.

Might need to pick another one up sometime for nostalgia's sake. Can't remember what happened to mine, but never found it when recently clearing the loft, so guess it got dumped at some point.
Old 15th Mar 2016, 9:17 pm   #29
electronicskip
Nonode

I have a couple of these Philips pegboards kits in my loft,
Bought them about 4 years ago from a carboot sale for about a fiver,
Old 16th Mar 2016, 12:30 am   #30
line sync
Heptode

I had a Tandy 65 in 1 electronics set in the 1970,s.
Had loads of fun building circuits and years later when I dismantled it the wooden box came in handy for other things .
Like others I`ve still got parts from it but wish I hadn't taken it apart.
Old 17th Mar 2016, 12:13 am   #31
Outrun_uk
Heptode

I'm a bit of a collector of the later kits as I grew up with the Tandy/Radio Shack ones of the 80's. Found this last weekend at the car boot, nice case and complete (looks like it was never used) and some very entertaining Chinglish project titles
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	121596   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	121603  
Old 6th Jul 2016, 2:59 pm   #32
Mad Mal
Tetrode

I had two kit, the smaller two transistor model and the larger three transistor model. I used to reproduce smaller versions of the circuits on Veroboard using smaller components for a permenant example. What was the resistance of the speaker in the larger kit? I seem to recall a figure of 50 or 110 ohm?
Old 7th Jul 2016, 4:08 pm   #33
avocollector
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
I bought a couple of EE8's on ebay in 2014 just to revisit my childhood.
Haha... I bought some Sinclair stereo 60 amps / pre-amp / etc., on ebay in 2015, just to revisit my youth...
I bought the Sinclair flat screen tv because I could NOT afford one in my youth - it does not go though - LOL.
Old 13th Jul 2016, 3:11 pm   #34
Mad Mal
Tetrode

I had two of those sets, they had the circuits to follow laid out on cards that you placed over the wire loops before you put on the springs. I used to make up some of the circuits on Vero board to keep for later, I used smaller tinier versions of the components, but could never find another speaker of the same impedance as the one in the larger kit (the smaller kit only had an earpiece)...I believe that the impedance was around 100 ohm, but can't be certain. in the end I salvaged some output transformers from some junk MW pocket radios that had rf stage problems. and used a .3W 8 ohm speaker from said radios on the secondary. That worked.
Old 13th Jul 2016, 5:14 pm   #35
TonyDuell
Dekatron

The original Philips kit loudspeaker was 150 Ohms if I remember correctly.
Old 13th Jul 2016, 6:15 pm   #36
Cobaltblue

I just measured the DC resistance of 2 unused examples out of an A20 and they both measure 140 Ohms give or take an Ohm.

So I would say Tony is pretty much spot on.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 13th Jul 2016, 6:31 pm   #37
electronicskip
Nonode

I also have 2 or 3 of the Philips kits in my loft , bought from a carboot sale a few years ago.
Old 13th Jul 2016, 7:37 pm   #38
Cobaltblue

Well as this thread has woke up and one of my un-played with EE8's to hand

Matches my A20 from post #14

Cheers

Mike T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Philips EE8 002.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	127376  
Old 13th Jul 2016, 7:45 pm   #39
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Thanks Mike for the photo, brings back happy memories. And of having to buy a new AF117

John.
Old 13th Jul 2016, 8:37 pm   #40
Alistair D
Nonode

The English manual for the EE8 is in the library section of this site.

http://ee.old.no/

Al