UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Oct 2006, 5:22 pm   #1
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Default Fergi 3821 (1500 chassis) frame collapse

I was given this set by a friend, no wonder!

After applying power I had sound OK but also frame collapse
With a signal applied there is a picture, a bit narrow though. Tried a few of the suggestions from my previous thread for a circuit, looks like the culprit is the frame output transformer which reads only 6 R instead of 8.2 R, also it must have run hot as there is a bit of wax residue on the underside.
Old 6th Oct 2006, 9:40 pm   #2
Focus Diode
Octode

Default Re: Fergi 3821/ 1500 chassis frame collapse

I presume a known good PCL805 has been fitted. Next check C79, output pentode cathode bypass capacitor (160uF) and resistor R103 (300ohms). Check the value of R103 anyway as a changed value resistor could shorten the life of the PCL805. Then C101 (100uF), R123 (330Kohm feed from boost line) and C89 (1uF).

As John says dry joints on the frame tx are common. Another possibility is a dry joint on the PCL805 valve base, or a faulty valveholder.

I've not known a frame tx to fail in these or the 1400 series, but there's always a first time. I should have a 1400 transformer somewhere which should be sutiable.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 6th Oct 2006, 10:26 pm   #3
Steve_P
Dekatron

Check the height control - it's a skeleton pot on these and it does tend to go intermittent or die.

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 6th Oct 2006, 10:49 pm   #4
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

Hi all
I will have another look at the set over the weekend re your suggestions, and see if I can find anything. I think it would be a good viewable set if I can expand the frame!

regards Den
Old 7th Oct 2006, 12:07 am   #5
Focus Diode
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
Check the Height Control - it's a skeleton pot on these and it does tend to go intermittent or die.
Very true Steve, many thanks for pointing this out.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 7th Oct 2006, 5:24 pm   #6
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
Never had a tx go either - but they do go very waxy. Don't forget the TWO 330k (ish) resistors in series with the height pot as it's fed from the boost line - one's near the LOP stage and can be missed - aim for around 250v at the 'top' of the height pot.
lyn
Old 7th Oct 2006, 7:10 pm   #7
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hi,

There are two 18k 0.5W resistors in the frame linearity feedback circuit. They are unreliable in this chassis.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 7th Oct 2006, 9:30 pm   #8
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I agree with all that has been said. I seem to remember an electrolytic cap, abut 1uf just off the boost line on the feed to the height cct which use to play up. Sometimes it just dried up but occasionally it would go leaky or short circuit.
If you have a cct diagram and a meter the 1500 is one of the easiest chassis to fault find on.
Oh don't forget to keep the brightness turned down with frame collapse, this will avoid any risk of phosphor burn across the screen.
Closed Thread