UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Nov 2013, 5:06 pm   #21
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: AVO VCM - mains quality and calibration

For some reason I'm filled with dread whenever someone concocts a name for things yet to be developed. Shades of QL and Shopertunities

David
Old 24th Nov 2013, 6:21 pm   #22
David Simpson
Nonode

'Twas just a humerous Sunday afternoon jest. Not a serious suggestion. Even more humerous, and to some - dread filling, is the silly Forum names which some folk concoct for themselves.
Seriously though, Mark and other adveturous & inovative folk should be given every encouragement in their endeavours. And I dont include "fastflyer" in my above comment. As it reprsents someone who is adventurous.

Regards, David
Old 24th Nov 2013, 9:40 pm   #23
fastflyer99
Retired Dormant Member

More interesting (and entertaining) stuff Thanks to the Davids for your input, and the useful attachments in an earlier post. Mark's Mk IV is an interesting idea, even Mark's Mk V if modified as suggested! It's actually a great idea to use Avo's patented valve base chassis as a test bed to ensure stability, although I'm not so sure on my VCM, even if I were to fabricate a new side panel - it's actually in exceptionally nice condition and it would a shame to change anything. But if I find a very unloved VCM, I might have a little play.

Anyway, I'm quite looking forward to my little Avo adventure...

Regards, Mark
Old 24th Nov 2013, 11:03 pm   #24
n_r_muir
Hexode

Hi,

As it so happens when I built a version of the Sussex valve tester I used the valve panel from a redundant AVO 2 panel tester. I also removed the matching socket from the meter unit (which had a sticky pointer) so that I can plug the AVO test panel into the box that I built the Sussex valve tester in.

It seemed unnecessary to "re-invent the wheel" when there was properly engineered valve base panel so readily to hand.
Old 25th Nov 2013, 10:34 pm   #25
fastflyer99
Retired Dormant Member

An Avo VCM Mk IV just went on eBay for £410. Meter obviously shot, and no guarantees on any of the other parts from the seller - could have duff transformers, and is missing its lid, maybe other parts. Seems a lot to pay, but something like that at a more realistic price would make a good testbed. A two panel tester on that basis is an attractive option, as they go for a good deal less money.....
Closed Thread