UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Oct 2016, 6:11 pm   #1
newlite4
Octode

Default Bulgin Electronic Controller

Anyone know what this Bulgin Day and Night Electronic controller was used for. It is designed to have eight neons (three missing) and has only one connection to the outside which is the mains input. It consists of a network of Rs and Cs arranged in a ring configuration, presumably the neons are supposed to illuminate sequentially rather like a clocks hands. As to how it was originally used, that is a total mystery to me.
Neil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040414.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	130800   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040415.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	130801  
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 8:53 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Bulgin Electronic Controller

(very) Early disco lights ?
I'll get my coat
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 9:06 pm   #3
thermionic
Heptode

Hi Neil.

I'm guessing that this is not original. The internal wiring doesn't look neat enough for a manufactured item. I think that whatever was originally in that case, then most of it is no longer there.

I'm prepared to be informed that I'm completely wrong though.......!

Cheers. SimonT.
Old 2nd Oct 2016, 10:55 pm   #4
feathercurls
Tetrode

It looks like a Do Nothing Box. That is a box containing several neon oscillators which flash randomly.
The neons might flash differently depending on the level of background light, hence 'Day and Night'.
http://www.nutsvolts.com/uploads/mag...nformation.pdf

Last edited by feathercurls; 2nd Oct 2016 at 11:02 pm.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 9:35 am   #5
newlite4
Octode

This did remind me of a Black and White Whisky bar display from the early fifties. Made of rubber and featuring the rather delightful highland terriers, a 90V battery in the base made their neon bulb eyes flash randomly (if somewhat unnervingly) via a similar RC relaxation circuit.
Neil
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 4:10 pm   #6
TonyDuell
Dekatron

There was a similar project called (IIRC) a 'Neon Novelty' in Everyday Electronics in the early 1970s (I am guessing 1972 or 1973). The 2-neon version was built on a chocolate block terminal strip and it was the first magazine project I ever built, before I could even solder.

Getting back to this mystery box, what is the thing in the centre? It has 2 tags, and seems to be connected across the mains. Is it an indicator, or what?

I also noticed this thing has the modern colours for the mains cable which may make it more modern than it first appears.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 5:54 pm   #7
feathercurls
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Getting back to this mystery box, what is the thing in the centre? It has 2 tags, and seems to be connected across the mains. Is it an indicator, or what?

I also noticed this thing has the modern colours for the mains cable which may make it more modern than it first appears.
Maybe a rectifier? The original was powered with a high voltage battery (about 90v). Maybe the mains cable was added later.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 6:41 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Well, the neon relaxation oscillators would certainly need to be powered from DC. There are some little grey components with a sliver band at one end on top of some of the grey capacitors in the first photo, and I thought those were 1N4007 or simlar diodes. Maybe not, and the middle thing is a rectifier. Looks a very odd one, though.
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 9:00 pm   #9
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

I suppose the easiest thing would be to power it up (cautiously) from a DC supply. The function of the Bulgin controller might then become clear!
Old 3rd Oct 2016, 10:37 pm   #10
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

I made the random neon flasher during the 1970s from PW or EE, ran off a 90v battery, I doubt its 240v even though it has mains cable.

John.
Old 4th Oct 2016, 9:22 am   #11
newlite4
Octode

OK everyone, I replaced the three missing neons last night and they too flash randomly. There are two remaining neons that have died, I will replace these when spares are obtained. The cylindrical object in the centre is a wooden support, this adds structural rigidity to the circuit. I noticed last night that the mains is fed into a resistive dropper (82K & 39k @1/4W) which provides the circuit with around 90V via a diode rectifier. It all begins to make sense apart from the mystery as to what the box was originally for. Undoubtedly this circuit is a later addition due to its "Christmas Tree" construction, but the eight holes for the neons appear to be original as does the central support.
Neil

Last edited by newlite4; 4th Oct 2016 at 9:25 am. Reason: resistor values
Old 4th Oct 2016, 10:49 am   #12
KeithsTV
Nonode

A friend of mine built a "tree" using about 8 neon oscillators all running at different frequencies and powered from the mains. The reservoir capacitor was large enough to keep it going for a few minutes during a power cut. It must have run continuously for at least 9 months during our final year at university. At the end of the year most of the neons had one electrode blackened due to running on dc.

Keith
Closed Thread