UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 3rd Aug 2016, 8:08 am   #21
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths Synchronous Clock (Spring question)

Hi Ian,

The red grease might have been originally red oil - I used to have some clock oil that was red (cannot remember its make).

You need a small amount of oil, just a smear, on the ends of the spring which is on the centre arbor. It needs to be the smallest amount.
It's possible that something might be partially seized here but unless it becomes a problem I'd leave it.
Old 8th Aug 2016, 12:28 pm   #22
ianm
Hexode

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for the info.

I'm now working towards restoring another Smiths wall clock from the mid 1903s, which has some unusual aspects to the work required. I'll write about that in a new thread soon.

Ian McLaughlin, BVWS member
Old 8th Aug 2016, 4:23 pm   #23
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

You're welcome, Ian.

BTW, don't you mean 1930s?
Old 9th Aug 2016, 7:50 am   #24
ianm
Hexode

Oops, yes!

Old 10th Aug 2016, 6:22 pm   #25
ianm
Hexode

Restoration now complete and here are a couple of pictures. Thanks again to Mike for his advice.

It's now a matter of regret that I didn't take any 'before' pictures. This clock was in quite a bad way when I found it at an autojumble several years ago, sitting in wet grass under a trader's stall. The glass was long gone, which had made the painted dial vulnerable and the whole thing was covered in years of dirt.

Starting on the next one now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smith1.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	128514   Click image for larger version

Name:	smith2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	128515  

Old 10th Aug 2016, 6:32 pm   #26
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Incredible work, Ian, it looks brand new.

I notice that unlike most, your case moulding seems to have been made with a lip and tapped(?) pillars to accommodate a back panel. Maybe this was an option if the clock needed some weather resistance?

Also, my spring-driven one is "Made in Great Britian", which might mean it was made at their factory in Ystradgynlais (opened 1947): http://history.powys.org.uk/history/ystrad/anglo1.html

I have 3 of these, albeit with slightly different movements. Two have the later (>1937) "Bijou" synchronous movement and were rescued from the kitchens in part of the Birmingham General Hospital days before it was demolished about 20 years ago. The other has a spring-driven movement with a platform escapement, as used in pre-war Smiths car clocks, and came from a skip at my school about 30 years ago when the physics workshop were having a clearout. Sadly, the magnificent 24" giant which graced the Great Hall got away before I could save it.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 10th Aug 2016 at 6:42 pm.
Closed Thread