UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Forum Announcements and Comments

Notices

Forum Announcements and Comments Announcements about forum changes will be made in this section. All new threads here now require moderator approval.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2020, 12:59 am   #1
Stylo N M
Heptode

Default An Interesting log In Issue

Hi,

Whilst browsing this evening, in the Modern Technology (10 + posts needed to access) section of the forum, i've found that for some reason i'm UNABLE to view the picture (thumbnails) posted by members in there threads (however youtube links apear to be OK)

The message that apears, when i attempt this perticular action reads as follows:

1 "You are not logged in. Fill in the form at the bottom of this page and try again (but i'm always logged in)
2 "You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page, are you trying to edit someone else's post, or access administrative features or some other privileged system?
3 "If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation".

If i then enter my User Name and Password, and tick the Remember Me Box, i am then allowed to view that perticular picture and thumbnail as per normal, but then have to start the whole proccess all over again, if i wish to view anouther picture and thumbnail in a different thread.

This only happens in the Modern technology section of the forum, and has only very rarely happened elswere in any other section (hardly ever) only perhaps once or twice in all the years i've been a member.

It also states "That a modorater my require you to register" and a link is provided.

I'm always logged in anyway, hardly ever Log Out, and the Remember Me Box is ALWAYS ticked, so would there be any perticular explanation or reason for this? as i would certainly never attempt to edit anyone else's posts.

Thank's in advance,

Paul
Old 28th Feb 2020, 1:10 am   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: An Interesting log In Issue

There have been a few problems with people getting logged out unexpectedly over the last couple of weeks. Does everything work normally if you just log back in?
Old 28th Feb 2020, 1:42 am   #3
Refugee
Dekatron

I have noticed a number of websites showing odd delays randomly. There is one that logs me off quite often.
This side has been doing it far less than one or two non electronic ones I use.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 2:09 am   #4
Stylo N M
Heptode

Hi paul,

It doesn't apear to be the fact that i'm actually Logged Out, when i return back to the main page it shows i'm still Logged In anyway.

As far as i know, i havn't had that expirence that other members have had, finding that there unexspectedly NOT logged In, as it only apears to happen in the Modern Technology Section of the forum (all the time) If i just go back out of that section, and continue on, to any other section of the forum, i can continue happily as normal.

So that must mean i was never Logged Out in the first place. I have a feeling it's been like that in the Modern Technology Section, from the word go when i joined up in 2012

As i don't really post anything much on that part of the forum, it's largly gone unoticed that there is a slight issue with it.

Paul
Old 28th Feb 2020, 9:41 am   #5
Nuvistor
Dekatron

With an web browser problems I find its worth clearing the browser caches etc out, it clears many issues then log in again.
You will need to know all your log in details for web sites you use so confirm you have those before clearing data out.
The other possibility is new software updates that have been installed on your computer, or any other new software or changes. There can be interaction between software that doesn’t always seem possible.
Old 28th Feb 2020, 10:14 am   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

The forum is starting to hit the limits of the current reseller hosting package from time to time, which can result in a few odd things such as images not loading, slow page loading and odd errors. This may be why people are randomly being logged out too.

The vBulletin code is old and fairly database intensive with minimal caching, and it is mainly database access that is the limit it is hitting.

I am planning to move it (along with my other websites and hosting clients) to a larger and faster cloud hosting platform with the same hosting company. However due to heavy workload with my paid work this is unlikely to happen before April.

For now please just be patient, and if it is causing too much frustration perhaps try again a bit later.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Feb 2020, 12:48 pm   #7
Stylo N M
Heptode

Thank's Paul Stenning, and Paul (Moderator) and thank you Nuvistor for the info, i only have a mobile so i will take a look at one or two things later, and have a fiddle about in the menu's. Thank's also to Refugee and all other replies from all you wonderful people.

Paul
Old 28th Feb 2020, 2:06 pm   #8
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Given Paul's comments about system limits, I wonder if it would help if those of us who are in the habit of leaving ourselves logged-in were to adopt the habit of logging-out when we leave our PCs unattended, so freeing-up login-slots/system-resources for others to use?
Old 28th Feb 2020, 7:05 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

That doesn't make any difference, it's just static database entries. The problems can happen at busy times, not just busy times here but also busy times for other websites on the same server, and there is nothing any of us or you can do about that. Other than being patient and trying a bit later if it isn't behaving properly.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 28th Feb 2020, 8:12 pm   #10
trickie_dickie
Hexode

With all the rain we're getting lately, I find my Logs are wet and my Fork & Spade are getting rusty through lack of use. Mind you, the Rhubarb is doing well.