UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 24th Feb 2020, 8:52 pm   #1
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Farnell SB30/10?

Ahoy,

I have one of these I got at the Audiojumble. The current limiter appears to do nothing, and I was considering adding meters to it for ease of use.

I can find manuals for the L series, but I don't know how similar they are. The transformer is enormous and the National Express men were not happy when they insisted on helping me off with my bag despite my protestations.

"Do you know there's a weight limit?"

Thank goodness I'm slim.
Old 24th Feb 2020, 9:04 pm   #2
evingar
Octode

Default Re: Manual for Farnell SB30/10?

https://rtellason.com/manuals/Farnel...owerSupply.pdf
Old 24th Feb 2020, 9:21 pm   #3
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Manual for Farnell SB30/10?

No sooner said...

Thank you, Chris. I was getting nothing for 'SB' in my searches so I don't know what the 'S' stands for. It appears the current limit is just that - a final overload limit not an adjustable one.
Old 1st Mar 2020, 9:12 pm   #4
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Re: Farnell SB30/10?

Thanks for that link, I only had a hand-drawn schematic. The guy also has several more Farnells, and a stack of other manuals which would be worth exploring.
Just in case anyone is interested what thay look like, here is the 20A version, which used to appear often on eBay, a good linear PSU for transceivers, though it would have to live under the table. A deep unit with handles, and you really need those handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B30-20-r.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	200010  

It's good here
Old 1st Mar 2020, 10:39 pm   #5
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julesomega View Post
Thanks for that link, I only had a hand-drawn schematic. The guy also has several more Farnells, and a stack of other manuals which would be worth exploring.
Just in case anyone is interested what thay look like, here is the 20A version, which used to appear often on eBay, a good linear PSU for transceivers, though it would have to live under the table. A deep unit with handles, and you really need those handles.

I used to have a 20A version - real doorstop and used to give a loud "thump" when power applied. I let it go when I got equipped with a couple of 1KW (AP1KW) Farnell Switch mode types that I plumbed in as a basic Lab +/- supply. More than slightly overkill !
Old 2nd Mar 2020, 5:44 pm   #6
duncanlowe
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
I used to have a 20A version - real doorstop and used to give a loud "thump" when power applied. I let it go when I got equipped with a couple of 1KW (AP1KW) Farnell Switch mode types that I plumbed in as a basic Lab +/- supply. More than slightly overkill !
Yep, the thump with a vague rattle, as the side and top/bottom panels were slotted into the frame and moved with the thump from the transformer. Used them over many years at work. While I was 'away' someone has seen fit to throw them away.

The Farnell (Wayne Kerr) switch modes are fantastic. Again first came across one at work, and at least that one is still in use. On my own purchased when there were a few ex MoD ones around on eBay keeping the prices sensible, I replaced all the Rifas as they are a known issue on these. At work, in spite of a few reminders, the guy that uses it regularly, knows best. I hope I'm not there when they let go.
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 1:50 am   #7
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Mine looks rather more rustic than yours, Julesomega! The batteries are 6V 421s for scale...

If I wanted a display, is it really as simple as plumbing in one of those V/A LCDs, or dual analogue meters? If they're arranged correctly they should show the feedback effect too.

I have been looking at flyback circuits so I could have a current limit. They seem quite simple, and there's plenty of room inside. Has anyone experience of doing this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200219_131413.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	200115   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200303_004453.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	200116   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200303_004509.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	200117  
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 2:12 am   #8
Julesomega
Nonode

Farnell used type numbers very liberally so it should not be too much of a surprise to find that the SB series had both terminal block and binding post versions. The little DVM modules are wonderful, and with care you can separate the supply connection from the input connection so as to get them to work down to zero rather than to the point where they stop working. Current meter versions are available, but for 10A you really need an external shunt which are not so available

It's good here
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 11:48 am   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bulgaria View Post

I have been looking at flyback circuits so I could have a current limit. They seem quite simple, and there's plenty of room inside. Has anyone experience of doing this?
Do you mean "foldback" perhaps? "Flyback" I would associate with a type of switching psu.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 11:52 am   #10
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Yes, definitely! All the Fs...

Last edited by Uncle Bulgaria; 3rd Mar 2020 at 12:02 pm.
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 5:34 pm   #11
short wave
Pentode

Post 7 looks like an earlier one 60s? possibly using PNP output transistors (OC xx)
post 4 looks like a later one 80s using NPN output transistors (2N3055)
Old 3rd Mar 2020, 7:29 pm   #12
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanlowe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
Yep, the thump with a vague rattle, as the side and top/bottom panels were slotted into the frame and moved with the thump from the transformer. Used them over many years at work. While I was 'away' someone has seen fit to throw them away.

The Farnell (Wayne Kerr) switch modes are fantastic. Again first came across one at work, and at least that one is still in use. On my own purchased when there were a few ex MoD ones around on eBay keeping the prices sensible, I replaced all the Rifas as they are a known issue on these. At work, in spite of a few reminders, the guy that uses it regularly, knows best. I hope I'm not there when they let go.

I also have a 3KW one (AP3KW) - surplus to requirement but ebaying is problematic becuase to do shipping properly it would need palletising and crating. I doubt the average punter would swallow the charges.

All 3 of mine have had Rifa's replaced, small electrolytic caps changed and socketed devices soldered directly into the PCB's . Changing the Rifa's on the 3KW one was a right and involved complete disassembly.

The 2 1KW jobs I think probably came from your military source judging from the stickers on them. Both worked out of the box, but one failed PAT testing due to the dodgy Rifa's - it also had an early warning "aroma" which in my experience is rare - they usually just belch out smoke without warning