UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Mar 2016, 10:01 pm   #61
hans
Heptode

Default Re: The Most Beautiful TV Set

Here we didn't have many Nordmede sets in the period from SK2 to ICC5. Is the Stereo Sonic still a "genuine" Nordmende set or is it from the Thompson era?

I had a Prestige SK2 in gold which I liked. (Maybe a bit tacky, but still cool) I still might have it have it well hidden. It suddenly got a power supply fault which I didn't manage fix. The power supplies on these are a bit complicated and I didn't figure how it worked.

Here is a link to Marcels Prestige:
http://www.marcelstvmuseum.com/nordm...%20totaal.html
Old 1st Mar 2016, 11:24 pm   #62
greg_simons
Octode

A great many moons ago my first boss acquired a 25 inch g8 in a rosewood cabinet, it was superb and very expensive, never saw another one like it and I serviced hundreds of the more common light teak cab variety.
Old 1st Mar 2016, 11:29 pm   #63
German Dalek
Hexode

@ Hans
SK2 and SK3 were original Nordmende constructions, these
modul sets made it possible to repair only by changing moduls
without soldering jobs.

Best regards,
German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 1:43 am   #64
suebutcher
Heptode

Of sets I don't own, a contender would be the mid-70s Blaupunkt. Years ago I found a colour set in a white formica cabinet sitting on a verge, and I fell love with it. However, fixing it was beyond me, and since it was live chassis, no-one else would touch it. There's strong feelings in Australia against live chassis radios and TVs.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 4:37 am   #65
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Dalek View Post
@ Hans
SK2 and SK3 were original Nordmende constructions, these
modul sets made it possible to repair only by changing moduls
without soldering jobs.
SK2 is beyond doubt an original Nordmende construction. In the SK3 there seems to be some overlap. The SK3 F7 chassis has all the signs of a Nordmende design while the SK3 F8 chassis is clearly a Thomson design (ICC1 probably).
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 8:53 am   #66
Mikey405
Octode

Possibly a contentious choice but i think one of the most stylish (is that the same as beautiful?) TVs would be the Philips 21TG100, the bigger brother to the 17TG100. I think the style suits the bigger tube better than its smaller brother. Even better when it has its original spindly legs.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 11:31 am   #67
regentone001
Heptode

My Favourite has to be the Regentone 17-18 with its high gloss red wood and complemented by the ivory coloured plastic mask and then the light blue around the tube. I know these had the awful Cyldon push button tuners but the one in mine does still work though albeit with lower gain than is should as its been got at.
I also liked the Regentone Ten 17 I would love to get hold of one. Both sets are fairly easy to get to to service without removing the chassis from the cabinet most parts are accessible by removing the back and base plate.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1134.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	120948  
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 6:11 pm   #68
pastyboy
Hexode

Agree with you Mike on the 21TG100 we have a 21TG306 - not sure what the difference is ?? him or our baird 602 on dansette type legs seems to be what most "see" as an old stylish telly. 'er indoors likes the rounded sets but not the box ones, so I think a bit of persuasion is going to be needed before a fergy 3705 3K goes into our small front room !

Must get onto the royal star in red.. nice looking set
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 6:36 pm   #69
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
From post #53 - I have one of these Decca Bradfords in a console cabinet. It uses an A67-120X tube so is ever so slightly bigger than the usual 26" sets! This one has slider controls under the CRT and 'edge on' controls that found fame in the Telefunken badged Bradford. Unfortunately these have been updated but the old ones came with the TV so I might try and get them working. Can't say it's my idea of a beautiful TV though.
There's a difference between iconic (TV22, KV1300), eyecatching (Keracolor, Discoverer) and beautiful () though.
Glyn
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 7:01 pm   #70
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Call me a heretic but I just don't get the whole wooden-cased TVs thing: I prefer my TVs and radios to look like scientific instruments not furniture.

The Plustron TVRC7D

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Ph...cs_TVRC_7D.jpg

for example - I lusted after one of these as a student in the late-1970s. It's beautiful because it's engineered to do what it does and not to pretend to come from a previous age.

I truly hated the BRC2000-chassised colour TV my parents had around the same time - in a cheap faux-wood 'square box' cabinet, on legs, it had a nasty roller-shutter thing you could pull across to conceal the screen - which when drawn over made the entire thing even more of a ghastly intrusion into the domestic living-space, kinda like someone had dumped a tea-crate there.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 7:19 pm   #71
ms660
Dekatron

This is the one for me:

https://collection.cooperhewitt.org/objects/18796291/

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 8:59 pm   #72
Red to black
Nonode

I liked the Lowe Opta profi Art series (C9000 chassis), the floor standing version affectionately known as "the coffin".

I got my parents a 36" screen sized one in the early 90's from one of the wholesalers, a 4 man lift no less , this was a bit of a "marmite set", but it did ooze quality, sadly scrapped in about early 2000-ish due to a flat tube.

This set used the ITT Digi chipset, and suffered from the known and common lopt failure not long after I bought it, this was duly replaced and the set gave 10 years sterling service until the CRT went flat, the chipset started blanking the picture out which made the set useless.
By this time the CRT regunners had all but ceased trading, only using up the more common existing glass stock, and the A89 XXX glass in this Lowe was anything but common.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 12:37 am   #73
beery
Heptode

Hi All,

Well fo postwar sets, the TV22 definitely gets my vote.
However, I rather like the pre-war EMI sets in terms of the veneer patterns.

Usually the HMV sets are nicer, though sometimes it is the other way round e.g. I prefer the Marconi 702 to the HMV 901.
The HMV 907 is a favourite of mine. I also like the HMV 905 with its mirrored veneers on the front, each set looks quite different in that resect.

The link below is to the one from MBL's books, which looks particularly striking. In fact it has a sort of angry look about it and reminds me a bit of Evil Edna; I still like it though.

http://www.tvhistory.tv/1938-HMV-905-7inUK.JPG

Here is a video of it working:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5iyVOJeKIA

Cheers
Andy
Old 4th Mar 2016, 1:04 am   #74
suebutcher
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
Call me a heretic but I just don't get the whole wooden-cased TVs thing: I prefer my TVs and radios to look like scientific instruments not furniture.
I can see where you're coming from. Although I like televisions with good-quality wood cases, I generally dislike sets that try to look like sideboards or cabinets, or go in for "period" styling. And woodgrained plastic covered chipboard is beyond the pale!

Last edited by suebutcher; 4th Mar 2016 at 1:10 am.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 11:49 am   #75
jonnybear
Octode

Back in the early 60s I worked for a Firm called Robinson Rentals later to become Granada. Who took over a company called Western Radio, with the take over came thousands of 17" 110 deg white Philco televisions with the controls on the top these had metal plastic covered case with bakelite tube mask and pressed moulded back cover, they were quite retro at the time, though tended to be unreliable. I have never seen one since.
John
Old 4th Mar 2016, 2:56 pm   #76
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Hi
The wooden box comment is quite valid. Initially, of course, that was the only material that could accommodate the heavy and bulky innards. But then came plastics, and given their versatility it was odd that the demand for wood carried on for so long, resulting in horrors such as the GEC solid state and Thorn 1500 and 9000 made of plastic but printed to look like wood, with the ultimate insult coming as the 'wood' wore off!
Of course all TVs are now made of plastic - or are they? We had a 19" LCD television come last year in wearing a real wooden cabinet. It looked ridiculous!
Glyn
Old 4th Mar 2016, 4:16 pm   #77
FERNSEH
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnybear View Post
Back in the early 60s I worked for a Firm called Robinson Rentals later to become Granada. Who took over a company called Western Radio, with the take over came thousands of 17" 110 deg white Philco televisions with the controls on the top these had metal plastic covered case with bakelite tube mask and pressed moulded back cover, they were quite retro at the time, though tended to be unreliable. I have never seen one since.
John
I think that will be the model 1019, it was not a very nice set. Often this set was a victim of the phantom twiddlers because of the rather poor AGC performance.
The set was prone to the effects of signal overloading, vision on sound and sound on vision.
Otherwise it was an attractive and compact 17" set. Very slim cabinet.

DFWB.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 5:06 pm   #78

I am biased, as a kid we had a rented Murphy in Serene Green... Here http://www.murphy-radio.co.uk/murphy...s/1969_P04.jpg Watched the moon landings on it live (I was woken specially for it and very tired the next day), the set and occasion are still vivid in my mind.

Beautiful because it was functional and simple in looks.

Old 4th Mar 2016, 6:00 pm   #79
ms660
Dekatron

The trouble with those coloured cabinet jobs was that they didn't respond very well with the standard bottle of Topps we were issued with

Lawrence.
Old 4th Mar 2016, 6:10 pm   #80
mark pirate
Dekatron

Quote:
as a kid we had a rented Murphy in Serene Green
I had the 22" colour version in 'Outrageous Orange', that was one set I wish I still had, I remember it had a great picture and never gave any trouble.

Hard to believe now that those colours were the height of fashion back then...

Mark
Closed Thread