UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Feb 2019, 3:47 pm   #1
Julesomega
Nonode

Default Liquid Rosin Flux

I have said it before: the use of liquid rosin flux for successful soldering and re-soldering is not widely recognised, and I had not encountered it until I started work in manufacturing industry. If you feel you cannot improve on your soldering with your favourite brand of rosin-cored solder read no further, but if you have ever been frustrated trying to tin a stripped wire or trying to solder to the nickel-plated terminals of a Phono-socket or Jack-plug, treat yourself to a small bottle of Liquid Rosin Flux and a "Needle Bottle".

I have just bought a needle bottle and it far exceeds the performance of any other flux bottle I used at work. These do not leak and cannot be spilled but allow the precise administration of minute quantities of the sticky stuff. Search eBay for >Needle Bottle for Rosin Solder Flux< where you will find two sizes, 50 and 30ml. I bought the 50ml but 30 would be more convenient on the workbench. Search also for a small quantity of the flux, and for some IPA (Isopropanol) for cleaning off flux residue. I apply liquid flux to any and every solder joint.

I normally set my iron to 260-300°C for normal-fine work. I now use these needle bottles for the IPA and for white spirit

It's good here

Last edited by Julesomega; 7th Feb 2019 at 4:04 pm. Reason: PS
Old 7th Feb 2019, 5:29 pm   #2
mickm3for
Heptode

Default Re: Liquid Rosin Flux

Hi i make my own liquid flux using rosin from music shop desolved in ipa
100gram rosin to 1ltr or so ipa works well
Old 7th Feb 2019, 6:04 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

I used to use violin rosin years ago! However, as it is intended for applying to bows, its efficacy as a flux, freedom from corrosive residues, etc is unassessed and likely to be a bit variable from batch to batch.

The general spirit of this thread, though, agree completely! Liquid rosin fluxes are sold in various broad categories, R (Rosin); RMA (rosin, mildly activated) and RA (rosin, activated) according to how aggressive the flux has to be.

Great for surface mount, too!
Old 7th Feb 2019, 7:22 pm   #4
kellys_eye
Octode

I started using liquid flux a couple of years ago after watching hot air reworking videos on SM components. Not looked back since. I was initially concerned at how freely some users 'poured' it around but that can often make the difference between the soldering job working easily or being a bit more difficult.

A bottle of IPA to clean up afterwards is also recommended.
Old 8th Feb 2019, 12:39 am   #5
Julesomega
Nonode

Re the grades of rosin flux, I'm not sure what I'm using, most likely RMA. It was being thrown out of Stores 25 years ago for exceeding the use by date, I can only read "Ersin Multicore Rosin Flux Type 5381 1L" so I have several lifetime's supply. We later used a pale blue water-based flux which left no residue and was slightly more 'activated'. This was brilliant and if I had to buy flux now I'd look for something similar - but beware, most are corrosive and for plumbing or soldering steel or stainless. The clue seems to be to look for rosin-free, halide-free, Lead Free

It's good here
Old 12th Feb 2019, 2:22 pm   #6
Steve G4WCS
Heptode

I find a flux pen very useful for PCB rework and SMT work

https://www.pcb-soldering.co.uk/sra-...SABEgJ7DfD_BwE
Old 12th Feb 2019, 3:36 pm   #7
ionburn
Heptode

I have just got into surface mount assembly (using standard soldering iron and solder soldering technique), and have found the liquid flux indispensible. It is not practical to use standard solder with an iron directly, having to use tweezers to hold the components (hence needing three hands), but I was amazed how easy things go with a prior application of flux.
Old 29th Mar 2019, 2:40 pm   #8
defender
Pentode

I just bought several lifetimes supply of flux from eBay, just need a few needle bottles.
I'll take some to work, give some to my mate then I've got 3/4 of a litre at home.
1 Litre MG Chemicals 835-1L Liquid Rosin Flux
Old 15th Jun 2019, 1:16 pm   #9
ViperSan
Tetrode

If like me you are an E-cig user (game up smoking about 4 years ago) ..or indeed you know someone who is .
Ask them to save the e-juice bottles for you.
These make great dispensers and or storage for decanting small quantities of homebrew rosin flux.
Dont forget to thoroughly clean em out first tho'
rgds
VS
Old 15th Jun 2019, 1:48 pm   #10
Electronpusher0
Nonode

I use BLT 35-41 No Clean Flux Pens, got about half dozen from my old job as they were out of date.
Also picked this up at the car boot today, not sure if I would use it now though....
Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1874.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	185134  
Old 15th Jun 2019, 1:54 pm   #11
vidjoman
Dekatron

Don’t put that Fluxite near any electronic stuff, it’s for plumbing etc and needs to be cleaned off afterwards. It contains some acid.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 4:27 pm   #12
greg_simons
Octode

I use semi liquid flux in a syringe for surface mount work and for using with the solder wick when more 'suck' is needed, found a couple of big nuggets of Greek pitch in some old stuff, I guess those old boys must've splintered some into some meths to make a rough version of the same.
Greg.

Last edited by greg_simons; 15th Jun 2019 at 4:28 pm. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 15th Jun 2019, 7:26 pm   #13
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

There were two versions of Fluxite: one was a murderous acid gel, the other a much more electronics-friendly Rosin.

Must admit, it's been several decades since I've used a separate flux when soldering.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 8:14 pm   #14
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
There were two versions of Fluxite: one was a murderous acid gel, the other a much more electronics-friendly Rosin.
Either way I won't be using it on electronics. Its just that at £1 for the tin I couldn't resist.

Peter
Old 15th Jun 2019, 8:42 pm   #15
Hartley118
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post

Must admit, it's been several decades since I've used a separate flux when soldering.
Does anyone else have memories of the Fluxite Quins featured on the back of Wireless World? Those adverts implied that there was a Fluxite suitable for electronics applications.

Martin
Old 16th Jun 2019, 7:06 am   #16
Sinewave
Octode

I use a squirt of electrolube rework flux from time to time and often a flux pen.

With the liquid flux I squirt some in a small pot and dip the ends of wires in which I need to tin. The flux pen is great for fluxing up flat surfaces which aren't taking up solder well on its own.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 3:02 pm   #17
defender
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperSan View Post
If like me you are an E-cig user (game up smoking about 4 years ago) ..or indeed you know someone who is .
Ask them to save the e-juice bottles for you.
These make great dispensers and or storage for decanting small quantities of homebrew rosin flux.
Dont forget to thoroughly clean em out first tho'
rgds
VS
I bought some e liquid bottles to put it in to make dispensing easy, they came with some pipettes to make filling them easy.
Old 16th Jun 2019, 3:06 pm   #18
Refugee
Dekatron

I can vouch for E-cig bottles too.
I always keep a few at the ready.
Old 17th Jun 2019, 1:49 pm   #19
ViperSan
Tetrode

I have to admit to liking the smell when using Rosin ..
It takes me back to my yoof when I first picked up a soldering iron.
A very pleasant smell (slightly sweet) that todays fluxes simply dont have.
No idea if it is harmful to health to sniff rosin..but I've been soldering since I was 9 and am now in my sixties.
I suspect taking up smoking (now vaping) and breathing car exhaust fumes did farrr for damage.
lol
Old 17th Jun 2019, 2:11 pm   #20
MrBungle
Dekatron

I only use it for SMD stuff. Haven't had any problems soldering anything else. I mostly use 62/36/2 solder though which seems to be far far easier to work with than 60/40
Closed Thread