UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2014, 3:57 pm   #1
RadioHist
Pentode

Default 16 gauge magnet wire DCC - opinion?

I'm wanting to make accurate replicas of mid/late 1920s short wave coils as are in the American made Grebe CR-18. I've proven to my satisfaction that I can make the coils but for my proof of concept trial I have only 22 AWG...

The correct wire for these Grebe coils #16 AWG DCC magnet wire (natural white color). I think that translates to about 1.3mm wire. Have yet to find a US source but did find a link to: wire.co.uk offering 1.25mm wire..

My question for this group is: Do you know if this wire on offer looks to be fabricated as it was in the 20's? (The best for me would be vintage, new old stock in as new condition.) They offer in 125g units which I think would be about 10m for this gauge wire... Each coil would take about 3m.

The coil shown is a rendering of my 3D model.

Comments welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sf-CR18-Ant-Coil-01.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	94726   Click image for larger version

Name:	sf-proto-coil-00.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	94727  

Last edited by RadioHist; 2nd Jul 2014 at 4:01 pm. Reason: Added statement about 3D model.
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 5:02 pm   #2
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

Default Re: 16 gauge magnet wire DCC - opinion?

I have bought DCC from them before for restorations, and it looks reasonably convincing apart form being snow-white. If you are a connoisseur of insulation you might see a difference in the layup but the ordinary observer will not. IIRC some or all of the wire I bought was plain copper rather than tinned, at the time it did not matter to me but it might in your scenario.
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 8:09 pm   #3
RadioHist
Pentode

Thanks for the response. I actually want the bare copper. Sounds like I need to 'take the plunge'. I can always use a little tea or coffee to knock down the brilliant white.

Robert
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 8:38 pm   #4
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioHist
The correct wire for these Grebe coils #16 AWG DCC (Double Cotton Covered) magnet wire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiohist
I actually want the bare copper.
I'm confused. Bare copper wire will have no insulation whatsoever. If you want to wind coils with it you'll have to be very careful with the spacing.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 2nd Jul 2014, 11:26 pm   #5
Herald1360
Dekatron

Err bare as opposed to tinned, so dcc plain copper rather than dcc tinned copper was how I read it.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 1:51 am   #6
RadioHist
Pentode

Over here, in the early days, magnet wire did not have enamel insulation. Insulation was solely by wraps of cotton or silk about the bare (not tinned or plated) conductors.

Robert
Old 3rd Jul 2014, 1:48 pm   #7
kalee20
Dekatron

It was the same in the early days here, too. Michael Faraday had to wind calico around his bare wire when he made his horseshoe magnet.
Old 5th Jul 2014, 1:51 pm   #8
Radio Wrangler

Wires.co.uk is the retail branch of the scientific wire company.

I've dealt with them a number of times and had no problems. They have a very wide range so a phone call for a chat with Danny is advisable for anything unusual.

David