UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2010, 4:39 pm   #1
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Default 180 line tv

Hi, how would i make a 180 line television receiver out of an oscilloscope. i am hoping to make it from a cossor 1039M or similar.
thanks
Old 14th Sep 2010, 4:52 pm   #2
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: 180 line tv

In very simple terms:

1. Use the scope's timebase at the H scan frequency
2. Make a sawtooth generator for the V scan frequency and feed it to the Y input
3. Feed video into the Z (brightness modulation) input

There's a fair bit of detail to get right if you want really nice looking pictures. The Z axis will probably be the biggest challenge. You will also need a source of 180 line video.

You can try out the concept with 405, 625 or any other video.
Old 15th Sep 2010, 1:13 pm   #3
dominicbeesley
Octode

If you don't have a Z-mod input you can acheive the same by applying a large PWM signal to the Y or X input along with the regular time base, this gives two pictures with one being a negative of the other, you need to add some sort of gamma correction with this method though as it defeats the "free" gamma correctoin you'd otherwise get from the CRT.

This can be acheived with a fast 555 timer running at about 1MHz as a sawtooth generator and a comparator to compare the video input with the sawtooth....there's some info about this on the NBTV forum I think and also in the NBTVA newsletter - you can now get these as a CD archive for £15.

Cheers

Dom
Old 15th Sep 2010, 6:31 pm   #4
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Does anyone know what kind of 1940s oscilloscope has a Z-mod?
Old 15th Sep 2010, 6:54 pm   #5
AlanBeckett
Rest in Peace

Back in the late '60s I did it with an ancient Solartron. There were two downsides: the modulation was negative - I picked it up from a TV, and the CRT was blue with a yellow afterglow. Still, it was interesting.
Alan
Closed Thread