UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Nov 2019, 8:29 pm   #1
rbm1973
Pentode

Default Philips 1400 projection TV

i posted the type number on here last week but got no replies
i have since found it is a variation of the philips 1400

the problem i have is no raster low eht
i have checked voltages around the grid which when the protection circuit is activated if one of the timebases fail goes to 160 volts which cuts off the bias to the crt
well this voltage varies between 38-90v when the brightness control is adjusted so i am assuming the timebases are working.

the speaker emits an awfull squeel i can here line whistle.
but the eht is almost non existent and iirc the ht4 voltage is low.

i have never seen one before i have the circuit diagram for it anyone have any experience of faults on this model or any help much apprefciated

thanks in advance Simon

BVWS MEMBER
Old 17th Nov 2019, 6:35 pm   #2
simpsons
Octode

Default Re: Philips 1400 projection TV

Hi Simon

This Philips model was also badged Stella ST1481 and as with the Philips little on this site. However should you search Projection TV protection circuits, quite a few threads appear. I'm afraid that you will need to trawl through them to both get members recommendations and contact details. See also Philips 699 projection TV.

The EY51's and associated capacitors plus the same in the protection circuit crops up.

I am sure I've seen more information somewhere and I'll get back to you with details.

Chris
Old 17th Nov 2019, 8:20 pm   #3
simpsons
Octode

More links

Emerson 609 Antiqueradio post. Riders Service Manual. Noreleco North American Philips projection same as European version together with protection circuits.

Philips TD2312, TX1714A, VE2600
Old 17th Nov 2019, 10:57 pm   #4
peter_scott
Dekatron

Also of general interest is Pieter Hooijmans site on Philips History

Peter
Old 18th Nov 2019, 9:57 am   #5
Mikey405
Octode

Hi Simon.

Although I'm not really in favour of "blanket changes" of caps, I think I'd be inclined to replace almost any of those black pitch Philips caps in the tube protection circuit (first) and then the EHT oscillator.

I seem to recall that the TG1400A circuit is very similar to the 6027A so this may help in the absence of a manual. The red books will almost certainly have the circuit but if you can't find it then you can download a copy from here :

http://www.oldtechnology.net/documentation.html

(Number 34 in the list.)

One last thing which occurs to me is to make sure you don't have any leaky smoothing / reservoir caps as this will cause the HT to become low. It may be worth disconnecting and then re-forming them slowly. You can normally expect good results if you don't try and rush the re-forming process. Give it a good few hours (the longer the better in my experience) with a high value series resistor. Don't forget to disconnect them from the rest of the set of course.

Thanks Simon.

Kind regards.

From Mike.

Last edited by Mikey405; 18th Nov 2019 at 10:13 am.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 10:11 am   #6
Mikey405
Octode

In the way of a PS:

If the tube protection and EHT circuits are working correctly then you may still have no picture if the frame circuit is not working but this can easily be checked with a 'scope. The little frame blocking oscillator transformers can be very delicate in these sets and are frequently found to be open circuit. Also those nasty black pitch caps going leaky can upset the scan or oscillation and cause no (or low) frame scan and this will, of course, cause the tube protection circuit to operate.
Old 18th Nov 2019, 11:25 am   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Note that the HT supply to the 25kv EHT unit is voltage doubled by V21 a PZ30. Lots of pitfalls for the unwary with projection receivers. As Mikey has mentioned, all of the black Philips caps will be faulty by now. Check any resistors particularly the ones in the EHT unit with a value exceeding 100k for value. They tend to drift upwards but 20% tolerance is acceptable.
When you have the EHT working you should be able to hear the characteristic 'whine' from the can. If the screen is blank, on switching off you should get a large decaying 'blob' on the screen as the EHT fades.
Keep the brightness turned back if you suspect the EHT is present but no screen illumination can be seen. A timebase collapse or spot will burn the screen almost instantly. Fortunately there appears to be quite large numbers of MW6-2 tubes still around.
The best action I feel is: Get the H.T. supplies correct then sort out the EHT unit. The oscillator transformer is the same as the one fitted in the line oscillator. John.
Closed Thread