UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Feb 2012, 12:20 am   #1
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default Leather dye / refinishing?

Hi folks

I've just acquired a fair quantity of white leather (mmm, nice...) from a dead sofa, which I crept up on in the night where it lay in the street, and skinned it alive (oh, OK, dead) with a Stanley knife. I hope to put some of it to an audio-related purpose - a guitar amp cabinet - which perhaps excuses my post to this forum.

There are lots of able people on here with great practical skills and experience - has anyone any experience with leather dyeing, and the preparation of a previous finish to take a colour?

cheers

Mark

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 16th Feb 2012 at 9:54 am. Reason: Brought leather back to life.
Old 16th Feb 2012, 9:08 am   #2
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Leather dye / refinishing?

The place to look is dyeing car seats. I refurbished my black leather ones with black, but it is certainly possible to change colour. I used http://www.leatherique.com/ , because at the time there was a European dealer. The only trick I found was not to apply using a paintbrush because it was impossible to get a streak-free finish. I ended up using an airbrush, outside on a warm and wind-free day, which made the leather looks absolutely perfect.

Here's an example of one system http://www.liquidleather.com/re-colouring.htm . There is a multiple cycle of cleaning, softening and degreasing prior to dying. But some of these car seats have been in service for many decades and need a lot of work to get them back in servicable condition.

Use gloves with the cleaners in paricular - they can be quite nasty on the hands.

Good luck

Craig

Last edited by Mike Phelan; 16th Feb 2012 at 9:54 am. Reason: As post #1.
Old 17th Feb 2012, 5:53 pm   #3
mark_in_manc
Octode

Craig -

Thanks for that. Those car systems look good, but perhaps pricey - maybe I need to find another dead sofa in a colour more to my liking!

cheers
Mark
Old 17th Feb 2012, 6:12 pm   #4
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Now for my two penny worth !
Have you tried this, see photo’s.
It brought my AVO cases up a treat, not too sure it would dye the leather completely though, but cheap as I bought three jars for a pound of the market.
I think you can get it in different colours too, oh and I managed to get it on the carpet.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0087.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	62652   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0088.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	62653   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0089.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	62654  
Old 17th Feb 2012, 6:13 pm   #5
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Leather will take aniline dye readily, but I'm not sure how modern general-purpose dyes are composed. I believe that some sofa leather is lacquered, which would probably present a further problem.
What's wrong with a white leather amp, anyway?
Old 17th Feb 2012, 6:29 pm   #6
mikelect
Retired Dormant Member

Here's a couple to start you can Google for more there's a lot out there

www.furnitureclinic.co.uk

www.leathercare.co.uk
Closed Thread