UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Jan 2012, 6:03 pm   #1
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Default Tuning knob "securing clip" removal

I'm sorry, I don't know the correct name for this type of clip.

Does anyone know how to remove them without causing damage?

Could it be that the tuning knob - and volume control knob - should slide off their shafts without removing the clips?

Regards, Lee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KBFB10 013a.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	61515  
Old 21st Jan 2012, 6:21 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Tuning knob "securing clip" removal

Yes, the knob should just pull off/go on the shaft with the clip in place.

If you want to remove the clip and don't have the proper tool, look at the attached image. Hold the clip securely, but not too tightly, at the points marked with the x's with pliers. Turn the clip anticlockwise whilst at the same time pulling the clip off the knob spigot. When the clip is close to leaving the spigot, dispense with the pliers and finish removal by hand.

When refitting the clip, do so as per your image ie with the gap in the clip at approximately 90deg to the gaps in the knob spigot (the clip should simply push on). Logic says the that clip should be fitted with its and the spigot's gaps aligned, but if you do that the spigot will close up too much and make the knob difficult to refit. There's also the risk of the spigot breaking next time the knob is removed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	knob a.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	61516  
Old 21st Jan 2012, 7:14 pm   #3
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Thank You Darren,

I think a drop a penetrating oil might be in order as the clips won't turn and the knobs certainly won't pull off the shafts.

I shall report back!

Best Wishes, lee.
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 1:58 pm   #4
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Penetrating oil did the trick, allowing me to remove the clips from the control knobs/wheels; though one side of one spigot broke off in the process.

One knob is cracked all the way from the centre to the outside - and was cracked when I got the FB10 - so probably, this was bound to happen.

Thank You again Darren.

Best Wishes, Lee.
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 6:05 pm   #5
Tim
Dekatron

Screwdriver into the gap in orientation shown and twist slightly to open the clip while holding it , then rotate knob to ease off(with third hand).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	61608  

Last edited by Tim; 23rd Jan 2012 at 6:11 pm.
Old 23rd Jan 2012, 9:57 pm   #6
frglee21
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Tim,

Thank You for that. I did try your screwdriver tip first but the clips seemed to be "stuck" to the spigots.

As I say, penetrating oil freed the clips and they did come off albeit with damage to one of the spigots, though it may already have been broken.

Best Wishes, Lee.
Closed Thread