UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2017, 12:47 am   #161
Maarten
Dekatron

Default Re: Why did folk always unplug the telly at night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh Anorak View Post
Have you noticed in films when a TV is turned off there is a high-pitched 'whoop' noise? Probably from the same school of thought that computers all bleep when an important screen is displayed.
The whoop noise was apparently modeled after the sound some early STR-chip equipped power supplies actually make.
Old 9th Oct 2017, 12:04 pm   #162
Alistair D
Nonode

While indexing some old copies of Practical Television I came across a paragraph in the Televiews(editorial) section on page 151 of the November 1957 issue that discusses possible fires caused by television sets not being unplugged.

It can be read here.
http://www.americanradiohistory.com/...on-1957-11.pdf

So it would seem that the potential of the problem was recognised even then.

Al
Old 9th Oct 2017, 3:32 pm   #163
PJL
Dekatron

Somebody had a car full of electrical equipment they were dumping at the local recycling centre. I asked why so much and the answer was the house had been hit by lightening the night before taking out just about everything electronic.
Old 25th Oct 2017, 9:45 pm   #164
Okto1984
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I remember one of my relatives rented a (colour) TV set where the remote control could turn it off but not on. Pressing the off button caused the power button on the set to pop out to the 'off' position with a loud click. Although (obviously) I never took the back off, I suspect there was a solenoid on the on/off switch that released the normal latching mechanism.
I had a Murphy TV about 15 years ago that did this. You had to push two buttons on the remote at the same time to turn it off - I guess to stop you doing it by mistake.

Anyway, that TV is kind of relevant to this thread as something went wrong with that switch and it caught fire after being turned off. I believe the switch wasn't popping out fully and was arcing. That scared me, and I've always unplugged the TV when I'm not watching it since. Don't know if TV fires are common or not, but one is plenty for me and I feel better doing it.
Closed Thread