UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 28th Feb 2016, 12:50 pm   #1
trevwgb
Tetrode

Default Coin box dials

Hi All
I have been trying to restore an Irish AB box with helpful info from forum members. However, the snooker seems to be finding a coin box dial, i.e. a number 11,13,20, 22 or 23 to swop for the standard dial on the phone I am using for the set up. After several months of regular looking on ebay no luck so far. Do these still exist, other than those still attached to the original equipment, or is this a lost cause?
Thanks
Regards
Trev
Old 28th Feb 2016, 4:16 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: Coin box dials

It is very much a case of waiting until one comes up. Occasionally a telephone with a coinbox dial such as a Tele 238 will come up but not be described as such - I saw a pyramid shaped Bakelite phone describe as 'Forked phone' for sale on eBay starting at £50.00. Photo was a bit fuzzy but I thought it was a Tele 238 with coinbox dial due to several features - black dial finger wheel, 'tubular' (not braided) cord to handset and a very thick plaited lead to the wall (sadly cut off in the middle). I gave it a bid of £75 as I reckoned it was worth that if I wasn't right but wasn't desperate to get it if it wasn't a Tele 238. I got it for £55 and when it arrived, I was correct, it was a Tele 238 with a coinbox dial that had been used with a wall mounted 'Renter's' coinbox but the tele being sat on a table rather than on a wall bracket hence the 7 way plaited 'rope' cord!. Just a case of keeping your eyes open and checking out for wrongly/mis-described dials/telephones. One will turn up so don't give up hope.
Old 28th Feb 2016, 4:43 pm   #3
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Forgot to mention - you never know what you'll find at one of the Telecoms Heritage Group's Swapmeets - next one is on Sunday 10th April 2016 at the Avoncroft Museum just off the M5 south of Birmingham - easily reached from most parts of the UK by motorway. Some-one is very likely to have a coinbox dial there.

Ian
CNet 0352 2345
Old 28th Jul 2016, 2:27 pm   #4
steve102
Pentode

Hi Ian,

I’ve followed this thread with interest as I also have an Irish A/B box with the internal terminal strip and no bellset. I bought it at a NVCF over 20 years ago and it’s been in my loft ever since so I think it’s high time I made an attempt at getting it working!

I have a Tele 283 fitted with a Dial No 23 and a chassis from a Tele 332 which I’d like to mount inside the A/B box. Also I’ve obtained a length of 8 way trailer cable for connecting the box to the telephone.

I’d appreciate a wiring diagram or any help or advice you could give me to get the setup working.

Regards,
Steve
Old 28th Jul 2016, 8:16 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Steve,

I've PM'd you with some information that I'm working on. I've got plenty of info on A/B box connections literally hundreds of N diagrams for conncting A/B boxes many of which aren't on Sam Hallas N diagram list as I've been collecting the for years - the first N diagrams were 43 years old when I started - next year is the 'Centenary of the N Diagram' !!
Closed Thread