UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Dec 2015, 4:42 am   #1
Otari5050
Pentode

Default Technics 'silver' knobs

A lot of Technics products from the 80s have plastic knobs/levers that are sprayed with a silver paint.
I haven't yet worked out what process they used.
Problem is the silver wears off over time.

Has anyone successfully restored these types of knobs?
Old 13th Dec 2015, 9:24 am   #2
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Technics 'silver' knobs

If they're the sort I'm thinking of, I believe they were coated by vacuum deposition.
There is a 'chrome' aerosol paint available (Plasticote?), which can give very convincing results, but it's difficult to apply, and not very durable IME.
Old 13th Dec 2015, 10:05 am   #3
Otari5050
Pentode

Default Re: Technics 'silver' knobs

Vacuum deposition sounds realistic. They don't look like they were spray painted - the coating is too uniform.
The colour is more a metallic silver than a shiny chrome.
I'm going to talk to a guy who does airbrushing to see if he can get a similar finish, and how durable it may be.
Thanks for your comments!
Closed Thread