UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 9th Aug 2016, 5:34 pm   #1
Matt1984
Retired Dormant Member

Default British Ericsson 332 noisy line and transmitter not working?

Afternoon all,

I have a BE (non GPO) ivory 332 which I recently fitted a line cord to and seemed to work fine.

The phone needed a clean so I took it apart to do this, however I have not been able to unscrew the ear cap from the handset. I tried a couple of things including penetrating oil, "tapping" the handset against a hard surface and heating the ear cap with a hairdryer to get it to expand. None of these worked so I decided to leave it for now.

I ordered a new ivory line cord as the original was black, and have fitted this along with a 3.3k resistor and rectifier 205.

When I plugged the phone in to test it, there is a noise on the line almost like static and I cannot hear anything when blowing into the transmitter.

The phone dials out fine.

Have I damaged the receiver by heating it with the hairdryer or is this likely to be a loose connection somewhere?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Last edited by Matt1984; 9th Aug 2016 at 5:35 pm. Reason: spelling error
Old 9th Aug 2016, 5:39 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: British Ericsson 332 noisy line and transmitter not working?

Is there ADSL on the line? This can play havoc with old and some not-so-old phones even if the correct microfilter is used.
Old 9th Aug 2016, 5:52 pm   #3
Matt1984
Retired Dormant Member

Yes there is, but there is a filter in place and my other 300 series and 232 work ok on it.
Old 9th Aug 2016, 7:19 pm   #4
paulsherwin

Try switching off your ADSL router and seeing if the line noise goes away.
Old 10th Aug 2016, 12:21 pm   #5
Matt1984
Retired Dormant Member

Tried switching off the router and this stopped the noise on the line. Thanks for suggesting that.

However, this is only half the problem solved.

The phone does not transmit at all. I have tried a different transmitter that I know works - no joy

I have double checked the wiring - all ok

I have replaced the line cord - no difference.

Is this likely a faulty handset cord? I don't really want to change it as its the original which is in mint condition.

Thanks again,

Matt
Old 10th Aug 2016, 2:29 pm   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

If it is a faulty handset cord, that would show up with a quick meter test. Disconnect everything at both ends, so you can be sure the only thing influencing the readings is the cord.

Also while the phone is in pieces, check the dial-off-normal contacts; specifically the pair that short out the microphone. They should be open when the dial is at rest, closed during dialling out.
Old 11th Aug 2016, 1:42 pm   #7
Matt1984
Retired Dormant Member

Me again!

Right.

I have checked the dial contacts and these seem fine. Two sets are open and one set closed when the dial is in the rest position.

I have checked the handset cord. This is not the problem either.

There must be either a loose connection or faulty component on the chassis? Maybe the I/C has had it?

I have checked it against the cct diagram and there is nothing obvious.

Answers on a postcard.

Last edited by Matt1984; 11th Aug 2016 at 1:43 pm. Reason: Spelling
Closed Thread