UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Dec 2015, 3:48 pm   #1
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Default Dynatron ‘Nomad’ TP11

This Radio cost me a mere £3.00 and would like to restore it, but does anyone know how to remove the front Speaker grille on it.

I have looked inside for any fixings but non are apparent. I need to remove the speaker fret and brass surround as it badly dented.

I downloaded the Service Data from Paul Stennings web site, which unfortunately doesn‘t say how to remove the speaker surround from the front of the cabinet.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad inside.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	168.3 KB
ID:	117031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad Front&side.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	117032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nomad bottom.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	117033  
Old 16th Dec 2015, 5:13 pm   #2
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: Dynatron ‘Nomad’ TP11

Paul, have you tried inserting a butter knife (old fashioned dinner knife) under the edge of the brass surround and gently levering it up? And those four speaker studs, do you think they are attached to front grille or surround, or they the more normal Hacker reverse threaded ones as used on later Sovereigns? Nice looking set though.
Old 16th Dec 2015, 6:09 pm   #3
Paul Adams
Retired Dormant Member

Steve, Tried the ‘Butter knife’ approach and got it off the quick and dirty way!

It would appear that this was stuck on using a groove in the wooden front of the set, and a wood fillet went the circumference of the groove, in which the rear of the brass escutcheon sat.

Now to try and refit it, looks like I am going to have to remove the old wood filling piece and make up some card soaked in super glue for added strength, and I thought this was going to be easy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brass trim removed.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	117041Click image for larger version

Name:	Underside showing groove in trim.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	117042

Paul.
Old 17th Dec 2015, 8:18 am   #4
stevehertz
Dekatron

I don't think that you have to ensure the same level of strength as the original wood fillet when replacing the grille and surround. Like you say, a thick piece of card soaked in superglue will act as a 'locator' while you refit it using a Uhu type glue. Removing the old wood strip from the cabinet and the metal surround could be painstaking though, then on the other hand it may just flip out easily with an awl, we'll see. Keep us posted!