UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2012, 1:07 pm   #1
stevekendal
Heptode

Default Faded TR130

Nice condition, working even, but badly faded brown covering due to sunlight I think. Shoe polish maybe? Steve.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 12:00 pm   #2
brenellic2000
Octode

Default Re: Faded TR130

I'm not acquainted with a 'TR130' - what is the base material? Boot polish can work wonders on natural materials but it's a short term solution. Any chance of a photo?

Barry
Old 29th Jan 2012, 12:30 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The originals radios of this series (as opposed to the modern repro) had a thermoplastic case, rexine/leathercloth covered.
Old 29th Jan 2012, 4:24 pm   #4
brenellic2000
Octode

... in which case, if its 'plastic' then the boot polish serves little purpose as the dye won't key to anything. I doubt a 'boot stain-polish' will do much good either.

Barry
Old 30th Jan 2012, 11:31 am   #5
Audio1950
Dekatron

But if it is rexine covered, then "Tuxan" renovating cream is excellent, but you may have to buy two or three shades and mix some of each to get the right colour.

Barry (the other one!)
Old 30th Jan 2012, 2:48 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

The covering on the original TR130 is indeed a simple grained plastic/vinyl (not even a rexine type - which was more common for that period) and doesn't even have a backing layer, such as cloth or a woven substrate. Therefore it isn't that receptive/absorbant to any polish or dye.

Just to add, the reproduction TR130 uses a vinyl on cloth covering.

However, I have used a shoe dye/colouring for touching up small areas and it adheres quite well but wouldn't stand too much rubbing.

The product I used was Tarrago Shoe Dye and comes in many colours and applications (bottles, tins etc) but you'll have to hunt around for a supplier. I found a supplier on Ebay.

Here's the link to the Tarrago colour chart:
http://www.tarrago.co.uk/viewproduct...=1173&Pid=2165
Old 30th Jan 2012, 3:19 pm   #7
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by camtechman View Post
Just to add, the reproduction TR130 uses a vinyl on cloth covering.
That was later releases, the first releases made do with just a textured plastic case.

On the 'proper' and original TR130, I've got a tan example which is covered in a rexine type material with cloth backing. Then again, I've got a black TR230 which does indeed have an unbacked vinyl type covering as you describe.

All very strange, perhaps suppliers and precise types of covering material varied over the years. Maybe Steve will tell us exactly what his example is covered with.
Old 30th Jan 2012, 3:33 pm   #8
camtechman
Nonode

Thanks for that info Darren.
Old 30th Jan 2012, 3:47 pm   #9
SeanStevens
Octode

I think that ink will stick to most plastics - try a brown magic marker?

SEAN
Old 30th Jan 2012, 4:19 pm   #10
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

On a couple of occasions when faced with rexine/vinyl/whatever coverings that I've decided are beyond 'conventional' redemption, I've resorted to paint. Not a tin of Dulux but enamel paint (Humbrol etc.) thinned to an almost watery consistency with lighter fuel. Using an artists brush and another diddy one, plus a steady hand, for the edges the end result is very good. The smell? well, that goes away after a couple of days.

No doubt purists would have a fit but it is a solution when there's apparently no other.
Old 30th Jan 2012, 7:13 pm   #11
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

There are proper vinyl paints available, which work well.
Trouble is, they tend to come in largish tins (500ml minimum?).
Old 30th Jan 2012, 11:39 pm   #12
stevekendal
Heptode

Doesn't look like cloth-backed. The handle, however, looks like a softer plastic.
Old 31st Jan 2012, 7:00 pm   #13
terrykc
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanStevens View Post
I think that ink will stick to most plastics - try a brown magic marker?
You can sometimes find sets of three different shades of brown in a pack, intended for touching up scratches on wood finishes - I think I've found them in some of the pound shops in the past.

The only problem I can see is that the overlap where two pen marks join is likely to end up darker ...
Closed Thread