UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2018, 12:39 pm   #1
Glyn1884
Retired Dormant Member

Default Amplifier Advice Please

Hello to all, I am the proud owner of an Akai 4000DS in as new condition and was well worth the wait as it was bought in Holland.

I am now looking for some advice on amplifiers, I would prefer to go vintage with this and am looking for ideas from the knowledgeable people on here, any help is really helpful to me as it's a long time since I had time to enjoy music.
Old 21st May 2018, 1:59 pm   #2
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Amplifier Avice Please

The Akai 4000DS is a mid-1970's unit. When you say 'vintage' are you looking for an amplifier which is roughly contemporary with this ? If so then certainly by the second half of the 1970's solid-state amplifiers had reached the stage where their performance really didn't have to be the limiting element in the system as a whole. The overall sound was much more strongly influenced by the quality of the loudspeakers. If you are working with a fixed budget (and most of us are) then the trick will be to find a pair of speakers that suit the music you listen to and the room you'll be listening in and then to choose an amplifier which can drive them effectively. Any extra on the budget will very likely buy you a bigger performance improvement if you spend it on the speakers than if you go for a more expensive amplifier. That said, the very cheapest amplifiers (as with most other things) should be avoided. They wouldn't have been great to start with and their components (particularly capacitors) may well not have been designed for a long life. It's also worth checking that any moving parts (switches, controls, even connectors) are still in good order.

You might also want to think about what features you want. These days amplifier controls tend to be very minimal indeed. But treble, bass and balance knobs can make a significant improvement to your music if your room and/or your hearing aren't perfect.

Just my two penn'orth of course .

Cheers,

GJ
Old 21st May 2018, 8:17 pm   #3
buggies
Heptode

Default Re: Amplifier Advice Please

I used an Armstrong 526 Tuner/Amplifier in conjunction with my 4000DS for a decade or so. Twenty-five real watts per channel available but usually played at a few watts into 8 ohm Wharfedale Linton IIs.
http://www.audiomisc.co.uk/Armstrong/500/500page1.html
They turn up regularly for very low prices on Ebay.
Only problems I had was with the plug-in pcb edge connectors, switches and pots needing cleaning.
Old 21st May 2018, 9:18 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The 600 series is good, too - more power, electronic signal switching, prettier styling...

Quad and Rogers would also do the job, but cult status has pushed prices up.
Old 22nd May 2018, 1:36 am   #5
jamesperrett
Octode

One feature to look for is a tape monitor switch so that you can use the Akai's 3 heads to their full potential.
Old 22nd May 2018, 9:28 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Nothing wrong with most run-of-the-mill Japanese receivers from the late 70s onwards.

How about this Realistic ST-204L for very little money, to get a feel for things? Even has a tape monitor button!

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=146741
Old 22nd May 2018, 10:03 am   #7
Glyn1884
Retired Dormant Member

Many thanks for all the replies maybe i should explain where it is going to be used, it will be in my spare room which is approx 14ft x 14ft and the music i now tend to listen to mostly is classic and some 50s to late 60s stuff.

Budget is of course a limiting factor so maybe all you audiophiles on here could steer me in the direction of amp/ speaker combinations. I forgot to add i have just found an old amp/tuner in my cupboard its a rank audio RX150 A circa 1974 memories of listening to soul music came flooding back.

Any help is once again very very welcome
Glyn
Old 22nd May 2018, 1:48 pm   #8
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

You could do worse than wake up the Rotel for starters - they were good value in their day, and decently made. Might need some caps changing, but fire it up (through a lamp limiter if you like) and see how you go. This and the Akai would often have been used together.
Old 23rd May 2018, 9:21 am   #9
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The advantage of sourcing an older amplifier is that they are usually will be pre-CD and so have very flexible tape switching facilities as many of these will have been used with both Cassette and R2R decks.

However, I would not like to compromise the potential of your fine Akai deck and would venture to suggest that modern (mid-range £) Hi Fi amp with its usual Aux/Line inputs, may be more reliable, cheaper in the long run and would sound really good.