UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2018, 2:25 pm   #81
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: The sheer joy of repairing something.

The nice thing from where and when I'm living is that I can choose the best bits of old and new.

I like old hifi and find the current stuff to be a joke

I like bang up to date dentistry

I like the quality of old saddles, not modern synthetics, but my breeches are in modern materials and my hat is up to date. Courses for horses...

My main transceiver is modern, my ATU is a beautifully built classic.

I'll have the best of both worlds, if you please. Specifics trump generalisations. (Small t, original meaning)

David
Old 12th May 2018, 2:52 pm   #82
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Probably my best skip find.
Click image for larger version

Name:	running.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	162693
The motor had seized up, and I sourced one for £50 delivered, but before I ordered it I had a go at repairing the original.

It turned out that the armature had overheated and resin had leached out causing it to bind. Half an hour with a Stanley knife and file restored the clearance.
Old 12th May 2018, 3:51 pm   #83
Refugee
Dekatron

We have a local disused railway.
It has never seized up or failed to provide for walking or cycling space for me.
Old 12th May 2018, 4:05 pm   #84
The Philpott
Dekatron

The last stand of the Avro Vulcan is a fascinating story, but it did cause them a lot of problems, not the least of which was range. All the IFR hoses had perished and had to be remade, and ultimately many of the aircraft had to turn back through serviceability issues (although it is highly likely that some of these turnbacks were minor faults made more decisive by the long journey over water.)

Crawling inside wings checking rivets and fishplates is probably something to be tolerated, then looked back on with joy once the grazes have healed!
Closed Thread