UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2018, 7:05 pm   #1
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default "Bush" Tombstone Pastiche

My somewhat tongue in cheek tale is perhaps justified by the fact that it was purchased at the last BVWS auction, at the minimum hammer price; one of the offerings that Mike couldn't knock down fast enough as soon as anyone showed the slightest interest!

Anyway, as I said in the auction thread, it doesn't look that bad from a distance and even has traces of real wood in the cabinet hiding behind the ply, MDF and hardboard. Its worst failing was the quite frankly awful sound it made with its (damaged as it turned out) tiny tinny tranny speaker, plus a slightly higher than desirable 100Hz buzz.

The speaker handily turned out to be 8 ohm and I found in my stash an old Volvo dual concentric car door speaker of 8 ohms. Promising. The new speaker would just fit between the top of the case and the circuit board of the radio, but needed a suitably cut piece of surplus laminate flooring (MDF?) to thicken up the hardboard original baffle so that the top edge of the new speaker cleared the wooden corner reinforcing at the top of the cabinet.

Duly installed, the sound was now much more acceptable- at any rate about as good as the real deal with a 6" speaker in a wooden box. The 100Hz was rather more intrusive, not surprisingly and this was knocked down to a reasonable level by tripling the 2200uF smoothing capacitor on the unregulated mains PSU. A proper regulated supply would improve it, but I reckoned I'd polished the t**d for long enough.

Overall performance is acceptable enough on LW/MW/VHF now for it to be used in the workshop for background noise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	158323   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker rear.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	158324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker front.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	158325   Click image for larger version

Name:	Old New.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	158326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	158327  

.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Feb 2018, 7:34 am   #2
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.
Default Re: "Bush" Tombstone Pastiche

I burn every one I come across. For me there is nothing in them worth saving, even the knobs are despicable.
Old 28th Feb 2018, 8:30 am   #3
Lloyd 1985
Nonode

I remember when these first appeared, I really wanted one! I finally got one a few years ago, and then wondered why I wanted it at all... I got one with the cassette player in the side of it, so really up-market.

The speaker is an awful thing, I had considered changing it, but what I really fancied doing was getting one of these and gutting it out and building a little valve superhet chassis to go in it, and stripping the case and veneer it. Probably better off just building my own cabinet from scratch!

Regards
Lloyd
Old 28th Feb 2018, 11:09 am   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boater Sam View Post
I burn every one I come across. For me there is nothing in them worth saving, even the knobs are despicable.
Chacun à son goût...

There's a useful small mains transformer to be had if nothing else.

A small AA5 chassis would probably fit inside and the cabinet itself is probably the best part of it. A Pye badge might be more in keeping than Bush, though.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 28th Feb 2018, 12:59 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Not my cup of tea either, but your mod must have made a very worthwhile improvement for no cost, and if it came to you for next-to-nothing, what's not to like?

I bet it sounds at least as good as many posh new DAB sets with a 3 figure price tag.

Nick.
Old 28th Feb 2018, 10:14 pm   #6
Wellington
Hexode

Smile Re: "Bush" Tombstone Pastiche

Quote:
We often have to be quite diplomatic in expressing our opinions on this forum - and rightly so. But I found Boater Sam's pithy, uncompromising statement above highly amusing!

"…even the knobs are despicable."
Old 28th Feb 2018, 10:58 pm   #7
Herald1360
Dekatron

Well they'd be no use except for cheap controls with splined shafts.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Mar 2018, 6:12 am   #8
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

I take no prisoners, especially faux ones. The Bush "retro" TR82/97s go the same way. Nothing in those worth saving either.
Why do folk buy this rubbish when we have the real deal?
Old 1st Mar 2018, 9:40 am   #9
vinrads
Dekatron

Totally agree Sam, don't forget that horrid Binatone rubbish, that can go on the fire as well. Phew I feel better for that. Mick.
Old 1st Mar 2018, 3:21 pm   #10
Herald1360
Dekatron

Quote:
I take no prisoners, especially faux ones. The Bush "retro" TR82/97s go the same way. Nothing in those worth saving either.
Why do folk buy this rubbish when we have the real deal?
Maybe because they work straight out of the box? (And go up to 108MHz)

Both my VTR103s needed a dose of tin whisker extraction and switch cleaner to make them perform. Easy enough for the likes of us, but would cost more than the repro to pay someone else to do.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 1st Mar 2018, 11:25 pm   #11
McMurdo
Dekatron

dad bought one of these from the auction once, it went straight on the shelf inbetween a vintage egg whisk and a similar sized but more valuable SG Brown set. Never seen inside it, what a paltry little speaker. But if it brings pleasure through its programme material, so be it! I dont wish harm on any radio sets.
Old 1st Mar 2018, 11:49 pm   #12
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I agree with Kevin but I understand the purist approach. I could never tolerate the Dynatron Faux Queen Ann "design" for example but ignorance is sometimes bliss The trouble with purism though, is it can morph into fascism. That's why Dylan left folk music behind. If the set actually cost little and you can do something better with it, then that's fighting back surely? Maybe it's more diplomatic as well

Dave W
Old 18th Mar 2018, 6:48 pm   #13
PaulR
Dekatron

I am waiting for one to be seen in a TV programme set in the 1930s!

I don't think we should be too sniffy about them. They work, they are stable and they sound as well as many modern sets. I was given one for my 40th birthday and I was delighted with it. It got me into "proper" sets and I have to admit that it has now been consigned to the loft but I bet that if I resurrected it, it would work straight away.
Old 18th Mar 2018, 7:01 pm   #14
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave walsh View Post
I agree with Kevin but I understand the purist approach. I could never tolerate the Dynatron Faux Queen Ann "design" for example but ignorance is sometimes bliss
I think the Dynatron styling was a rather different matter - intended to blend in (to some extent) with furniture typically owned by the target market. Technical quality, while nothing special, was pretty decent.
These 'retro' radios are something else, but if there's a market for them, then why not? It's a pity, though, that there are no good reproductions available for the more aesthetically and technically discerning purchaser - or are there?
Edit: I have to confess that I rather like some of the 'Spirit of St Louis' confections - complete nonsense, but rather fun!

Last edited by dseymo1; 18th Mar 2018 at 7:14 pm.
Closed Thread