UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2018, 5:12 pm   #1
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Default Radio Caroline North weekend 1368kHz

If you fancy some nostalgic listening on Medium Wave complete with fading and phase distortion so many of us fondly remember there's another Radio Caroline North weekend this Saturday and Sunday via Manx Radio's 1368kHz transmitter.

Since 1368 has become a clear channel Manx Radio's 2kW puts in a nice signal here in the evenings without assistance of a loop or aerial.

Either the Tx has been tweaked or daytime conditions have improved but 'regular' Caroline on 648kHz seems better here during the day.
Old 20th Jul 2018, 9:25 am   #2
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.
Default Re: Radio Caroline North weekend 1368kHz

I am sure Manx Radio's Foxdale 1368Khz transmitter puts out about 20Kw's. Since the closure of some of the BBC locals especially BBC Wiltshire's Swindon transmitter on 1368Khz Manx radio reception can be heard very clearly here in the west country during most evenings.
Old 20th Jul 2018, 11:31 am   #3
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Well, it sounds as strong if not stronger than RNI used to on 1367 - though, of course, there was a lot of night-time interference back then. (Although supposed to be capable of 105kW I don't think the RNI Tx was run beyond 40kW.)

For 20kW I'm surprised I can't hear it all day - even when trying a loop - perhaps that explains why I could never hear Caroline North!
Old 20th Jul 2018, 9:45 pm   #4
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Unless things have changed on the I.O.M., the radiation pattern of the Foxdale 1368kHz Tx is such that the maximum power is basically from east to west, and reduced power is transmitted to the N.E. & S.W. This is obviously designed to give maximum coverage of the island, whilst reducing the possibility of co-channel interference, the latter obviously being less likely today.
Old 15th Sep 2018, 8:06 am   #5
Chris Williams
Retired Dormant Member

Our AM1368 transmitter is actually 10k, but 20k E.R.P. It is directional from the two towers unfortunately, however now the local BBC stations have gone, reception is considerably better than it used to be for you. I have just confirmed plans for Radio Caroline North to continue using our service for 2019, so there is a viable alternative depending on where you are.
Old 17th Sep 2018, 11:33 am   #6
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Welcome Chris

Thank you for the information re the transmitter and and I am pleased to hear that Caroline North continues in 2019. Is the direction east-west as suggested upthread?

I leave one of my radio sets tuned to 1368 for the Caroline weekends and as a result I often switch it on to see how MW conditions are and hear what is going on on Manx Radio. I sometimes listen to Andy Wint in the evenings - I remember that he used to be on a local station down here: Beacon Radio. Knowing little about the island I also enjoy the 'History Man' feature.

Nick
Old 19th Oct 2018, 10:33 pm   #7
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Another Caroline North weekend this weekend.

Interesting to find how the propagation is now the nights are getting longer.
Old 20th Oct 2018, 8:53 am   #8
ionburn
Heptode

I don't know about Caroline North, but propagation issues are now rearing their head with their main MW transmitter, getting worse daily. I turned off at teatime yesterday. It has been brilliant during the summer.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 12:42 pm   #9
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I've been doing AM listening as internet has been down for over 24 hours. (When all else fails radio still works!) 1368 was thumping in here in the Midlands yesterday early in the evening - if it hadn't been for the occasional fading you'd think it was a local. As the evening progressed reception was poorer but I suspect the skywave was now skipping further. I left 1368 on all night as I often wake and it was good on the 1980s Grundig bedside clock alarm. Reception was still easily listenable this morning at 9am in broad daylight on the Grundig but by 10 was in the noise.

Switched to 648 on the small portable Sony and was listenable and about as good as I ever get here though use of a Tecsun loop is necessary. My experience with 648 is that it is variable but always better in the mornings. Evenings are impossible.
Old 21st Oct 2018, 3:26 pm   #10
crackle
Rest in Peace

Radio Caroline north transmissions are also available from their 648 Orford Ness transmitter.
They tend to team up with Manx radio every month or so, and they then identify as Radio Caroline North. They seem to coincide with the Boat Trips for the guided tours of the Ross Revenge, which is anchored in the Blackwater, the visit is well worth it if you are nostalgic about the Pirate era.
Mike
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 10:30 am   #11
SteveCG
Nonode

I tried listening out for the 1368 kc/s Caroline North signal for the first time last night at about 8 PM BST. I received it on a Sony portable, not overly strong and with deep fading. However the channel was otherwise clear so I could follow it for a bit. I tried again at 9 AM this morning and could hear, weakly, the Radio Manx programme.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 11:45 am   #12
Junk Box Nick
Octode

I find Manx best earlier in the evening. Signals become strong whilst it's still light. Around 8pm the signal dips. They do the competiton draw around 8.45 and I have to hope there's no deep fading if I'm in the hat! It was a struggle last night. The signal improves again later in the evening.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 10:01 pm   #13
Scott37
Tetrode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
If you fancy some nostalgic listening on Medium Wave complete with fading and phase distortion so many of us fondly remember there's another Radio Caroline North weekend this Saturday and Sunday via Manx Radio's 1368kHz transmitter.
Sorry about my lack of knowledge, but what is phase distortion? I thought this only occurred when signals were received from more than one transmitter. Here AIUI there is only one transmitter involved.
Old 22nd Oct 2018, 10:27 pm   #14
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott37 View Post
...what is phase distortion? I thought this only occurred when signals were received from more than one transmitter. Here AIUI there is only one transmitter involved.
In this case it's a type of multipath distortion. The signals are from one transmitter but arrive at slightly different times. For example, the ground wave (shortest possible path) and a reflection from the ionosphere. Or more than one reflection from the ionosphere, common on more distant signals.
The result is a comb filter or phasing effect, with a distinctive sound as some parts of the modulation cancel each other and others are reinforced. Ionospheric reflections tend to vary all the time, so it can sound like the classic studio phasing sound effect. Think of Itchycoo Park...

On the waterfall (Frequency-Time display) of a Software Defined Radio you can see the filter sweeping through the signal at the same time as hearing it.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 2:07 pm   #15
ionburn
Heptode

Reminded me instantly of old time TV in which the there was hassle every time a Vulcan passed over lol. Not for this thread but I do wonder how well digital would cope.
Old 23rd Oct 2018, 5:19 pm   #16
terrybull
Octode

I'm near Newark in the East Mids and get good reception of IOM transmitter 1368. Very good in the evenings on a rather sensitive old Sony receiver.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 3:33 pm   #17
telstar
Octode

I really enjoyed these special Radio Caroline North weekends. It is not just the music, but the commercials and the jingles. There was something really great about those 1950's & 1960's adverts that seem to lack in modern ones. Alright, different era and different products advertised, but you get the jist?
It is a shame that the station does not feature more of the rarer records of the 1960's. There were many great records issued that did not make the charts (especially instrumentals). This would make the event even more interesting!
Mike
Old 29th Oct 2018, 8:14 pm   #18
Neil Purling
Nonode

I have a little Chinese Kaide KK-555. It has the frequency display on a LCD, so I can get it on 1368 Khz & around 1845 The signal went in and out, but I heard a commercial for a burger joint in Ramsey & a positive ID of Manx Radio at 19:00.
What is the e.r.p. of the Manx Radio Transmitter on 1368Khz compared to R. Caroline's one at Orford Ness on 648Khz?
Old 29th Oct 2018, 9:02 pm   #19
Junk Box Nick
Octode

Details of Manx Tx are in post 5. 648 Orfordness is 1kW erp.

Distance between here and Foxdale and Orfordness is similar. 648 can be heard during the day but disappears under co-channel intereference during darkness. Manx comes in well (but sometimes with deep fading) from dusk up to about an hour of morning light but disappears completely during the day.
Old 29th Oct 2018, 9:41 pm   #20
Croozer
Pentode

This sounds impossible, but driving round the edinburgh city bypass tonight i was able to pick up caroline on 648khz -reception intelligible but marred by interference. Standard issue ford focus radio. That must be ca. 300 miles on only 1 kw. Do you get sporadic E on MW?

Ps 1368khz is usually ok here subject to fading
Closed Thread