UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2019, 4:38 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default HF VHF AM Signal Generator

Hi Peeps...Since I sold my 2 Marconi 2022's as I replaced them with My Anritsu, I found occasionally two signal sources are required. I bought a "quickie" from Ebay..it was a 0.1 to 470 Mhz With various FM and burst modulations.. However it was not as quick as I needed as it was faulty and broken, so after a lot of too ing and fro ing I reluctantly accepted their offer to close the problem.
However that still left me with no extra signal source.
As I had some spare pcb's from my other projects, and fortunately enough IC's I decided to build my own.
AM Modulation was required and that caused a little difficulty, however after a bit of perseverance, the final result was OK.
I use a MC1496 for the AM Modulator, and the module is bypassed with a relay for carrier only output.
The reason to bypass the modulator module is that I found.. without a modulator signal, I got no or very little RF output, maybe I have applied the application incorrectly but I think not.
At this point I didnt fit an output attenuator, as I have a nice switched one , but it could be added at some point if needed
I had a nice case in stock, given to me recently, so it was an obvious choice.
I include the schematics for the DDS and the modulator, if anyone wants the PIC Controller please request it in comments.
Just a note about the modulator.. It can be seen that I used a LM368 to drive the MC1496 with a sinewave, but as the input impedance is 50 ohms it needed something that could drive 50R, and a LM368 was the easiest option
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SIG GEN FRONT.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	194007   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIG GEN REAR.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	194008   Click image for larger version

Name:	SIG GEN INTERNAL.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	194009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modulator.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	194010   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDS Module.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	194011  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 21st Nov 2019, 10:37 am   #2
Wendymott
Octode

Default Re: HF VHF AM Signal Generator

Hi peeps.... one of our members privately noted that the actual modulator schematic was incorrect as the 51R's to pins 1 & 4 were shown as going to neg line instead of ground.
I checked the pcb copper and it is correct. However I repost the Modulator schematic for completeness. Thanks Paula.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Modulator.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	194053  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 21st Nov 2019, 11:41 am   #3
Julesomega
Nonode

Wow, beautiful little unit. I'd so love the PIC code to drive the AD9951, with or without a PCB
The MC1496 is balanced so will give DSB with suppressed carrier. I s'pose you can offset with DC bias to get 50% carrier

It's good here
Old 21st Nov 2019, 2:07 pm   #4
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Julian... PM Sent

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 27th Nov 2019, 12:27 am   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Peeps.. to post the final update... I changed the modulator to a transformer coupled one with a 2N3866 as a mini pa. I discovered that the MAR6 didnt like too much peak voltage and to get 100% Mod, I was driving it too hard.. Thus the 2N3866. The other thing is.. I am using half wave modulation, as I was too lazy to design a push pull driver. Still it works well.. I attach a couple of photo's for completeness.
I revamped the front panel as well to add more button function data.
The mod transformer is a toroid ring about 40mm dia. I made a shuttle to apply the wire and I lost count of the turns. I stopped when I had two layers and the resistance was about 9 ohms. The secondary (audio) again was about two layers and the resistance was 7 ohms approx to give a turns ratio of about 1.3 : 1..To be honest I was totally surprised when it worked first time, as the toroid was unknown, it has a purple coating.. thats all I know.lucky I guess. Still it works well and as far as I am concerned its finished. Unless any member has a better idea.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	50% Mod.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	194433   Click image for larger version

Name:	100% Mod.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	194434   Click image for larger version

Name:	AM MOdulator ver 8.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	194435   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Modulator.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	194436   Click image for larger version

Name:	New Front panel.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	194437  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 29th Nov 2019, 12:30 am   #6
Herald1360
Dekatron

Those 'scope pictures don't look like AM!

It looks like constant amplitude RF with a lot of AF ripple?
.........O..Chris....O
Old 29th Nov 2019, 6:50 am   #7
Argus25
No Longer a Member

You appear to have the RF carrier "riding on" or superimposed on a sine wave of modulation. So it is not "amplitude modulation" which is essentially a multiplicative function, where one wave modulates the amplitude of the other. Versus "signal addition" which is what you appear to have.

An excellent amplitude modulator (multiplier) is the MC1496.

If you want to go up into the VHF or UHF region with AM, the IC's to get are the TCA820 or the TDA0820T. Both of these are vintage, but spectacularly good and in surface mount packages.

I have attached a photo you might find interesting of amplitude modulation using an IC multiplier. This is generally called "four quadrant" multiplication. If you over-modulate it , the carrier phase reverses at cross over, shown in image D.

These sorts of things are not that important with AM radio, when you don't intend to do that (if you have proper audio compression and peak limiting, which practically no pantry transmitters have except my own), but critically important in PAL color encoders.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mods.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	194588  

Last edited by Argus25; 29th Nov 2019 at 7:05 am.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 1:22 pm   #8
Wendymott
Octode

Hi Guys.. Thanks for the comments....I knew.. or thought something was wrong... but..I was clearing out some old "test" modules and found a VCA822.... which was bought as a voltage controller attenuator/ modulator.
Hooked it up and it is very good...... no photo's yet as the pcb has been made but not stuffed yet.....
The MC1469, was my first choice, as in my original post, but as I said, there was no or very little output when no modulation was applied...
I will post again when it is up and running.. the downside of the VCA822 is it requires dual supplies, but that has been sorted with a DC/DC converter.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 29th Nov 2019, 11:27 pm   #9
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendymott View Post
The MC1469, was my first choice, as in my original post, but as I said, there was no or very little output when no modulation was applied...
Yes, it is normal when the IC is running in a balanced condition, it simply generates DSB. It needs a DC offset applied so that it is unbalanced and has a significant residual carrier output in the unmodulated state.

Its a great IC, good choice.

I've attached a circuit, ignore the split supplies, but you will see the offset applied to pin 4.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	linmod.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	194646  

Last edited by Argus25; 29th Nov 2019 at 11:33 pm.
Old 29th Nov 2019, 11:59 pm   #10
Wendymott
Octode

Ok Argus.. Many thanks.....I have virtually "spit out my dummy" now LOL... I attach my latest version "10" using the VCA822. Just finished the rear panel artwork.
I really do appreciate the inputs from all our fellow enthusiasts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AM MOdulator ver 10.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	194647   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF CARRIER.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	194648   Click image for larger version

Name:	50% Mod.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	194649   Click image for larger version

Name:	100% Mod.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	194650  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 30th Nov 2019, 1:34 pm   #11
Argus25
No Longer a Member

That modulation looks wonderful
Old 5th Dec 2019, 10:18 pm   #12
Wendymott
Octode

After all the "hard work"it finally paid off today ....Back on my receiver design project, the new generator provided me with the results I needed, namely the VFO injection level to the MC1469. And as you may know the ideal level is 60m/V rms, as proved today...now just to redesign the IF stage as it is as deaf as a post....40db down on my tri band transceiver.....but now I know.. its not LO injection level...back to the drawing board.

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread