UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2020, 12:42 am   #1
Tartan Spark
Diode

Default Ultra Tiger 1933

Hi guys, I've got an Ultra Tiger 1933 AC radio unit, which I've had for 2 yrs now, awaiting the TLC to basically reboot to getting singing again, after recently a replacement valve from cathoderay57, to whom i'm immensely grateful, but come to realise that at some point I've unplugged to aerial wire , sadly the socket identification markings have faded away, Have purchased & downloaded to service doc's , but they don't identify which socket does what ,
there's 5 sockets running left to right at the bottom right hand corner at the rear of the unit , is there anyone that can identify them for me ?, many thanks Phil.
Old 28th Jan 2020, 9:33 am   #2
cathoderay57
Nonode

Default Re: Ultra Tiger 1933

Hi Phil, if the chassis is out of the cabinet the best bet is to trace the wiring from the rear sockets. The aerial goes to a 50k potentiometer, R1, the variable aerial-earth signal control. If you don't want to remove the chassis again, then with the set unplugged prod the 5 sockets in turn with a multimeter on the resistance range. Two of the sockets should be dead short to chassis (chassis earth and pick-up earth). The aerial socket should measure 50k to chassis and the pick-up input short to chassis when radio is selected and 100k to chassis when gram is selected. There should be 2 additional sockets somewhere at the back for extension speaker but I'm presuming they will be separate and more obvious. Do be careful because this set has a "mains aerial" with a capacitor C16 that connects the mains to the aerial socket, sometimes on a flying lead. For your own safety make sure that capacitor is permanently disconnected (especially if it hasn't been replaced). Hope that helps. Cheers, Jerry
Old 28th Jan 2020, 3:58 pm   #3
Tartan Spark
Diode

Default Re: Ultra Tiger 1933

Will try the second option first before stripping down it down again , many thanks Jerry
Closed Thread