UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Sep 2021, 6:39 am   #1
toshiba tony
Heptode

Default Memories

Trying to do some homework here, what was Jim Fish's valve radio company called. (G4MH)
He died a few years ago but he ran from home (Banks Drive, Golcar) he formerly owned the Amateur Radio shop at Chapel Hill, I knew him well, a great guy, I had known him since the 60's.
His valve firm had the name "valves" in it, don't think they are trading now, this info is for my own satisfaction. Thanks anyone.
Old 18th Sep 2021, 8:36 am   #2
vu2nan-nandu
Pentode

Default Re: Memories

Hi Tony,

That would be Wilson Valves, Golcar, Huddersfield.

Here's more information.

Nandu.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	241558  
Old 18th Sep 2021, 9:10 am   #3
Radio Wrangler

Jim ran the Amateur Radio Shop on the junction of Milford Street and Chapel Hill. The postal address was Milford Street, I believe. He got the shop on Chapel Hill, just below it when he started the Hifi centre, and opened a second one in Brighouse.

Then he moved both businesses to Cross Church Street. I think the building was previously Walkers' shoe shop (It had one of those scary foot X-ray machines in the early sixties)

Things were in this condition when he sold-up. He and his wife intended retiring to their place in Spain, but she died before they could move. Jim was badly hit by this, of course, and decided to stay in the UK. I think he bought the Wilson's Valves business for something to do.

A really nice guy.

I was one of his first customers on the opening day of his shop on Milford Street.

David
Old 18th Sep 2021, 9:17 am   #4
toshiba tony
Heptode

Thanks both of you, clarified a lot that, the grey matter is a bit low on RAM but it's coming back now.
Old 18th Sep 2021, 9:25 am   #5
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Bought a lot of my amateur gear from Jim Fish, inc the G4MH Tx and modulator for 2M AM.
Think each unit was £12.50.
Old 18th Sep 2021, 11:45 am   #6
sortedradio
Heptode

I used to buy quite a lot of valves from Jim when he had Wilson Valves. He always seemed a pleasant, helpful fellow although I never met him.
Old 18th Sep 2021, 12:14 pm   #7
Radio Wrangler

He taught the RAE course at the local tech, so a lot of people round Huddersfield knew him.

It was Thomas Walker's shoe shop, now I remember.

David
Old 18th Sep 2021, 11:14 pm   #8
radiograham
Hexode

I remember being at Bury Hamfest in 1993 and meeting Jim fish, he told me he had just bought Wilson's valves.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 10:23 am   #9
David G4EBT
Dekatron

In the 1980s when he still had his shop, Jim (amateur radio callsign 'G4MH') introduced the two element 'G4MH Mini-Beam', which became hugely popular. At the time, for those with deep pockets the American HQ-1 2-element mini-beam ('Hybrid-Quad') had been the only half decent off-the-shelf mini beam.

The G4MH was compact and had an excellent spec:

Gain 10m: 4.5dBi, 15m: 4dBi, 20m 3.5dBi
* F/B ratio: 12dBi
* Max power 1000W
* Boom length 1.5m
* Element length: 3.4m
* Turning radius: 2.0m
* Max mast diameter 50mm
* Wind load @ 125km/h: 100N
* Weight 6.4kg c/w stainless steel mounting hardware.

Back when Jim used to have a stand at all Northern Rallies, it sold really well.

Each end of the two elements had a coil in three sections to cover 3 bands, and had brass spikes as top loading ground planes. One spike for each band had to be trimmed a bit at a time to get the best SWR ratio so it was quite a task to set it up. The coils were wound on Polypenco (nylon) 25mm rods which had a helix cut on them. I couldn't afford to buy one so decided to shamelessly make a copy. I went to night school for a term to use the screw-cutting facilities of the metalworking lathe to cut the helix and the nylon rods and to turn the brass rings which held the spikes.

With the time it took to draw the plans, the cost of materials and the night school fees, the G4HM started to look like quite a bargain! Many were sold and they were very popular for some years, given that most amateurs have little space in suburban gardens. Excellent performance - it didn't take me long to gain the 'Worked All Continents' on it. (Japan, Australia, Brazil, Africa etc).

There's a picture of one of the elements here:

https://www.radioworld.co.uk/2-eleme...antenna-g4mh-2

More info here:

http://www.zx-yagi.com/mini.htm

When Jim gave up his shop and bought Wilson Valves, he still stood at many rallies for a while. Lovely chap, fondly remembered and his callsign lives on. (He must have been licensed very young, just before the war - the two letter G4AA onwards series of callsigns were issued in 1938-39).

Hope that's of interest.
Old 19th Sep 2021, 10:23 am   #10
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

I remember Jim's shop (two shops?) 0n Cross Church Street many years ago.
Though he didn't know me, I was interested in a Quad 405 and he offered to try one at home and bring it back with no charge or buy it.

As I ended up not buying it, I took it back.

I bought many valves and other parts from him, a thoroughly nice chap.

ISTR he had a shop in Honley later?