UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Jul 2021, 10:12 pm   #1
Dukebox
Triode

Default Grundig yacht boy 210 bulb location

Hi there,

As title describes. I need to replace the bulb in my Grundig Yacht Boy 210.
Can anyone help me with a photo of where I access it and is it a straight forward job?

All help gratefully received.
Dukebox
Old 8th Jul 2021, 10:38 pm   #2
misterp
Triode

Default Re: Grundig yacht boy 210 bulb location

Hi Dukebox,

I can help you with this but I am on holiday at the moment so cannot show you any photos. I have my third Yacht Boy apart at the moment so I can take pics when I am back. In the mean time you will need to remove the chassis from the case as it is easier to remove the holder. I have modified the holder to take a screw in E5 bulb as these are readily available. If you can afford to wait I will give you full details.

Last edited by misterp; 8th Jul 2021 at 10:54 pm. Reason: Error
Old 28th Jul 2021, 9:47 pm   #3
Cobaltblue

Service information Here:

https://www.service-data.com/product...98/3481/m12598

Cheers

Mike T

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 28th Jul 2021 at 9:49 pm. Reason: Changed link
Old 29th Jul 2021, 7:43 pm   #4
misterp
Triode

Hi again Dukebox,

This is the way I did the mod to replace the bulb. I have enclosed some photos:

You will need to remove the chassis from the case by unscrewing the four retaining screws (arrowed).The aerial will need to be pushed up to gain access the two screws under it. It’s best to unsolder the speaker wires so you can lift the chassis clear. From the front use a small pair of pliers to turn the lamp holder 90 degrees and then push it out towards the rear then unsolder the three wires. I fitted an E5 bulbholder into the original bulb holder after first removing the contacts then opening up the diameter of it carefully with a suitable reamer, or drill if you don’t have a reamer, to give a tight fit. The legs of the new holder went down the original holes after some adjustment. Then just re-solder the wires and refit the original holder to the chassis. The bulb I used was 6.5 volts, 150mA from RS. I had to change the bulb resistor (R51 39 ohms) to 15 ohms to get the 6.5 volts but you could leave the original in if the brightness is acceptable to you. They also do a 6 volt 80mA.
The other alternative is to use an LED, which I have done in another Yacht Boy and it fitted straight into the socket. The only thing about using an LED is that they only throw the light forward unlike the normal bulb which also emits light from the sides so you don’t get much light along the dial. I overcame this by fitting another LED at the other end with the face pointing at the dial and I got a nice distribution of light along the dial. I used white LEDs which look nice on this Yacht Boy as it’s the silver fronted model. Not sure if it would suitthe wood effect. I used 470 ohm resistors to drop the voltage to 3 volts for the LEDs. You can see from the pics how I mounted the other LED, this was done without any drilling or mods to the chassis so it could be removed and left as it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210723_153321164.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	238436   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210413_133105583.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	238437   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210110_175708808.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	238438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210105_165446769.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	238439   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210216_151448997.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	238440  

Old 29th Jul 2021, 10:20 pm   #5
Dukebox
Triode

Thank you so much my friend! This is the way to go.
Will look at doing this and will let you know how I get on.

Once again, I really appreciate all that you have done and my sincerest thanks go out to you.

Superb