UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jul 2012, 12:33 am   #1
Keith1973
Retired Dormant Member

Default Studer A810

Does anyone know if this model can play smaller 7inch reels ? It's not too clear in the instruction manual.

It plays 10.5 inch reels with NAB adapters fine(ish). But it has some tension issues when I try it with 7inch reels. There doesn't seem to be a large/small hub switch on this machine as found on Revox B77/PR99's.

I tried an AMPEX 456 7inch reel and the playback speed was too slow unless I pushed back on the tension arm on the supply reel side. The tape seemed to be very tight, but a Maxell 18-180 (very thin triple play tape) seems to be fine.

Rewind is also very sluggish on any reel size now. Pressing "LIFTER" so the tape drops back onto the heads seems to get it going again. I guess there's something wrong with the guides that move the tape away during spooling.

Since trying it with these 7inch reels I now get intermittent speed fluctuations on playback of 10.5inch reels. The PLL servo light stays on so I'm guessing the capstan speed is not changing but again maybe it's a tension issue.

Thanks.
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 7:24 am   #2
Michael Maurice

Default Re: Studer A810

The tension arms if working correctly should ensure that any size spool will work, so yes you should be able to use 7" spools with no problems.

It would appear that you either have sticky shed tape or that there is an issue with the pinch roller

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 10:29 am   #3
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Sounds indeed like sticky shed, assuming that the tensions are correctly adjusted. Be careful to clean the lifter pins thoroughly, as gunk can accumulate in the guttering and give the signs you describe. In normal use, the A810 copes well with any spool size and most tape thicknesses, although I might suggest backing the peak tensions off a little if you are using TP to any extent - but don't just tweak away blindly, or you'll end up in a mess.
Old 23rd Jul 2012, 1:27 pm   #4
jamesperrett
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1973 View Post

I tried an AMPEX 456 7inch reel
Ampex 456 = sticky shed (unless you are extremely lucky)

James.
Closed Thread