UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Jul 2012, 10:45 pm   #1
B77madness
Retired Dormant Member

Default B77 fully restored but the case

Hi I bought my B77 way back in mid seventy s and i have recently restored all of the electronics, unfortunately the Gray case has a lot of white around the base anyone know how i can go about restoring this back to Gray

many thanks
roger
Old 20th Jul 2012, 2:13 am   #2
paolo
Heptode

Default Re: B77 fully restored but the case

B77 cases have a tendency to go sticky over time because the Nextel covering degrades. I have found the best way to cure the stickiness in the medium turn is to give the case a good wash in the bath with some liquid hand wash, a good rinse and then leave to dry in a warm place. It seems to rejuvenate the Nextel and eliminate the sticky feeling. It's not a permanent cure, however, although its been 3 years or so since I did mine and they are both still ok.

If the problem is discolouration, I suspect the only fix may be to try and strip and paint with something else. Nextel is still available but I don't it's something the average punter could apply.

Paul
Old 20th Jul 2012, 8:32 am   #3
B77madness
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: B77 fully restored but the case

HI Paul,
This is what i thought the reply was going to be, I will attempt to bathe it but the discolouration has progressed to such a state that another coat of something may well be the only cure, unless somebody has another case they are willing to part with.

Roger
Closed Thread