UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2011, 3:20 pm   #1
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Default GPO 52A Terminal block to RJ11??

Okay, I have been planning this for a little while now, and only just got round to it, it's basically taking a tried and tested, but rather inconvenient, GPO 52A BT and coupling it with the relatively modern RJ11 connector....

It took a fair bit of trimming of the plastic base to fit the socket, pulled out of a Binatone cordless phone base unit, I think, and one slight drawback is that it's 2-wire, not 3-wire, but I'm sure once I find a phone to attach this to that the wiring would not be too much of a problem to deal with...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-12 14.58.40.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	49446   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-04-12 14.59.13.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	49447  
Old 12th Apr 2011, 7:36 pm   #2
AndiiT
Octode

Default Re: GPO 52A Terminal block to RJ11??

Hi,
There were a few of the BT Relate series telephones which used RJ11 sockets and were 3 wire devices, some of the RJ11 sockets were used for handset cord connections which are four-wire.

If you can get hold of one of these phones as a donor unit it would serve as a source for four terminal RJ11 sockets - these may be PCB mount ones though.

Regards
Andrew
Old 12th Apr 2011, 7:49 pm   #3
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Well, the thought I had was that as an old GPO phone, such as an unconverted 706 or 746, has 2 wires coming into the BT, the strap connects to the Ringer wire, and inside the phone lies the capacitors for it to act as it's own Master socket, so the RJ11 connector only really needs 2 wires, and the phone would at a guess not require a full conversion if I used it on a PABX, given how the ones I'm looking at only use 2 wires from CCU to Socket...

It was just one of those "Technical exercises", it kept me busy for an hour, I just need to find a matching black telephone to go with it...
Old 12th Apr 2011, 7:50 pm   #4
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I just thought, I have that M3xxxn phone upstairs, that has a 4-way RJ11 socket, could have used that!!!

Ah well....
Old 12th Apr 2011, 11:03 pm   #5
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocvbloke View Post
... and inside the phone lies the capacitors...
Hi,
Be aware that some phones that have been through the GPO/BTs "clean up" process and converted to plug and socket working before leaving the refurbishment centre may have had the bell capacitors removed, this should only be relevant to the 746 and associated types (756/8 etc.) 706 types should always have a capacitor fitted.

Regards
Andrew
Old 12th Apr 2011, 11:08 pm   #6
BGmidsUK
Retired Dormant Member

Old PC modem cards may be a good source of RJ11 sockets.

Brian
Old 12th Apr 2011, 11:21 pm   #7
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

I was thinking of unconverted phones, rather than de-converting converted phones, though I don't think it would be too hard to wire in some appropriate capacitors for such phones...

As for Dialup modems as a source of RJ11 sockets, yep, they would be, though I haven't seen one of them in over two years...

(infact, the last one I saw had suffered a direct lightning strike, charred computer parts are interesting to see!!! Couldn't save the computer though, lightning has a bad habit of cooking the BIOS chips)
Old 23rd Apr 2011, 2:34 am   #8
Chipmunk
Triode

Ebay can be a good source of RJ12 sockets (RJ12 is an RJ11 with 4 contacts, RJ11 is just the centre 2 contacts, as used by most DSL modems and so forth).

If you specifically search for RJ12, you should find the 4 wire versions. Alternatively, maplin sell them as FCC68 connectors

If you want a good ready supply of dialup modems for parts, your local dump will usually sell you obsolete computers for a handful of small coins if you're nice.

If they ask more, they're taking the mickey!
Closed Thread